Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No, but they are asking $95,000 for it in their show room. As a side note, I thought the wire hanging from the center section of the dash was a nice touch.

they also want $375,000 for their 916. (that one is almost acceptable)

I'll give them credit for scrounging up some unique 914's but I think they have a Waaaaaay overinflated perception of their value.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-14-2002, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I know this may be the wrong forum to ask but why does everybody seem to dislike ***********? Is it a value for money thing?
Old 11-14-2002, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No, it's not a value thing.

If you do a search you will see it is bad business deals that people have reported having - problems with returns, wrong parts, sloowww... to ship, etc. And then there is the bad attitude they have with "stupid customers who don't know anything."
Old 11-14-2002, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I sent him a request - we'll see if he answers.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I think I understand Wayne's "10 foot pole" post now.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-14-2002, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I am glad he put it on E-bay now. It makes my six look like even MORE of a bargain!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

They have a whole bunch of parts listed on Ebay right now and most of their cars on Auto Trader. It seems to me that they are trying to liquidate what they have. I am tempted to call or stop by there to see if they are going out of business.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sorry Wayne - they replied back and would not tell me what they were looking to get.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

They really don't want to sell those cars

In Hollywood they say any publicity, good or bad, is a good thing.

My thinking, and its just a hunch, is that they just put these items up 'for sale' as inexpensive publicity, and for insurance appraisal purposes. Their reserves are probably way beyond any reasonable sum. But if you bite for that sum, they would sell, unless they could wiggle out of it somehow.

Its an old appraisers trick. Anything is only worth what someone will pay you for it. Advertise something, set your reserve outrageously high and see who bites and for how much, that will tell you how much something is truly worth at any given time. And that value changes from time to time, dependin on many factors, so new appraisals are needed periodically.

They don't want to sell these cars. No doubt there are at least a few serious, qualified buyers in this world who would and could pay for these items. I am quite sure that if someone like that truly wanted one of these cars, they would arrange a private meeting and work out a deal.

Ebay and the normal car parts sources are fine for your spare set of heat exchangers, but high profile, serious deals rarely are transacted like that.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Search how many cars have sold on E-bay for $50k or even $100k or more. You might be suprised.

IN my opinion, any business that has that much locked up in inventory would be saying to themselves, "Let's finally sell these things and create some cash flow. I've got some overhead to cover, man!"

I know if I had a chunk of their business, I would be asking when the inventory would turn.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Whenever I need a laugh....I read the ebay feedback on them and the other idjut, Treadway.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
core refund

I have been waiting a mo for a $75.00 core refund. they say there computer is down and will be for a month so I have to wait for my money.untell it is fixed. I wonder if they will give credit against another purchase?
2002 Land Rover Disco
2002 Astro Van
32' motor home
Old 11-14-2002, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I was recently bidding on some yellow fog lenses they had listed. They sold for 80 bucks and change. They list in their own catalog for 30 a piece! What gives? I stopped bidding at 55. I never called them to see if they are still selling for the 30 price, so I could be wrong. Ferg
Old 11-14-2002, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

To be fair, that's not their fault - it just shows how stupid people on E-bay can be!
Old 11-14-2002, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've always wondered what that particular car was worth, having never seen it in person of course..., I just happened to get an old ratty catalog of theirs with my last 914....

What do you guys think the fair market value is? I know the reserve is probably ridiculous, I'm not gonna buy it or anything....
Old 11-14-2002, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Wait a minute..... what's this? Another "diamond in the rough"?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872619525
Old 11-14-2002, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by thesey914
I know this may be the wrong forum to ask but why does everybody seem to dislike ***********? Is it a value for money thing?
In my experience (when I had a 914 - looking for another BTW if anyone knows of a good one for sale)

1. They are very expensive
2. They tend to treat customers like idiots
3. They do not fill orders correctly (many times)
4. They are slow providing credit or refunds

IMHO, they are just a miserable company to work with. Personally, I am amazed they have managed to stay in business with their reputation.

I would only recommend purchasing from them if they are the only ones who have the part. I would rather buy 914 parts at dealer prices than buy from them.

rant finished

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-14-2002, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I visited AA twice this summer while traveling to Atlanta on business. I was looking to buy a good 914, and I was fortunate enough to find one near home.

I was treated politely, but the cars did all seem overpriced. They do not allow test drives (!!!) but they did drive me around the block in a car that I was interested in. It needed a clutch, and they offered to put a new one in for "only $500" over the asking price of the car!!

I agree that their inventory does not seem to move (based on the cars shown on the AA web site).
Old 11-14-2002, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rumor has it (from an ex employee I know)

That old George is having a tough time. This liquidation could be cause for celebration (Of course I cant count how many times I was told Pelican was tanking)

B
Old 11-14-2002, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: