Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question windshield washer / Brake idiot light

OK. I've read the few posts on replacing the washer setup with an electric pump but I'd like to give mine one more chance to work. It seemed to work ok in the past. Now I've got it all hooked up and that tiny hole on the top of the washer bottle cap leaks air. What is that hole and why is it leaking? Tire is at 35 psi. Shot a little silicon lube to see if that would help but no go.

Also my dash is a transplant from some other car. (its green underneath and my car is orange) The washer is operated by pulling on the right stalk which also operates the wipers. Can I hook up the electric pump to this somehow? Any ideas what car this dash came out of? Its got switches (lights, fogs, hazards, cig lighter and rear window defroster) Also has a 150 mph speedo and extra unlabelled idiot light in the combo gage that is not hooked up.

Speaking of idiot lights, would a 1972 canadian 914 ( NON-USA ) brake idiot light do anything besides tell you the park brake is on. The Haynes electrical diagrams seem to indicate that's the only switch in the loop.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey, I just replaced mine with an electric pump. I also added delay wipe, very nice! Took me awhile to get every thing working right, but it works good now. What part of Calgary do you live in? I have only seen one or two 914's here in the last couple of years. I hope to add mine to that number next spring.
Regards, Dave
Old 11-14-2002, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

All mine does is let you know that the brake is on. At least in the 70 it does. Not sure on the 74 yet, but it's from Texas.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I wrote an article about 4 years ago that is on the Pelican Parts Technical Articles section about adding an electric washer pump.

See if this helps.

Regards,
Old 11-14-2002, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If it helps...

I have a 72 and a 73 both orange. Under the dash they are both green.

Go figure....guess they had some green paint to use up?

I'm Canadian too, maybe thats it.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks all. Karl, I have a copy of your tech article and that may be my next move.

That is funny about the green (lime green) paint under the dash. I thought for sure it was a donor dash.

Dave, I'm out in Springbank Hill. After installing Brad Mayeur's longitudinal reinforcement kit this summer and seeing how bad the rust really is, I decided that I'm going to drive until its nothing but a brown spot on my driveway. Its just too far gone to save; bodywise anyway. All the non-structural seams like fenders and all the door corners are totally involved. Sad thing is that it seems very good mechanically. So look for a rather ugly (on the oustside) signal orange 914 on the streets all winter!!

There was a guy out in Banff or Canmore trying to get rid of a 1.8l motor a while back in the bargain finder. Did you see that? That was a few months ago. I called to see what it was and he said it was off to the dump unless someone came and got it. Mine's a 1.7 and I was of course mostly interested in the FI stuff so didn't pursue it.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My son just reminded me that our orange 72 had a green underside also (now resting piecefully at my farm). Mabey it was a primer they used in those days?
Old 11-14-2002, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have seen one or two orange ones around here a couple of times. One with alot of rust near the drivers side door handle parked down near 17th ave and one other at a safeway once. I found mine in the back of that German auto repair place on 14th st. with the big VW spider bug out front. The guy said the computer for the injection was fried and that he could not get a replacment. I had it towed to my house and it was running the next day!!! Minimal rust for up here. I think it will live. Soon to get the GT make over. Regards, Dave
Old 11-14-2002, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: