Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Targa Top Trunk Fit

So... In my old 914, the top just dropped right in and the lid just closed right up (once with the keys in it, but that's another story).

With my new 914, I have to jiggle the top around a bit (a lot) in order to get it positioned to close the lid.

Does anyone else have to do this?
Old 11-14-2002, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Yea, I do too. My clips, both front and back, have chipped off and so the top can't "find the seat" without a little jiggling.

However, the targa top is kinda like the cap on a bottle of Jack Daniels........when your together with a bunch of friends and open it up you might as well toss the cap in the trash because you ain't gunna need it no more!!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think you'll find the problem is that aftermarket replacement side window seals are made of thicker and harder rubber than the originals. (Don't know how the ones you might be able to get from a dealer will stack up.) They will make the top sit very slightly higher in the trunk when stowed and so interfere with the trunk lid.

Harvey
Old 11-14-2002, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you'll find the problem is that aftermarket replacement side window seals are made of thicker and harder rubber than the originals.
Oh, yeah! I didn't think about that. I just ran out and checked... yup, new side window seals!

Problem found!

Quote:
However, the targa top is kinda like the cap on a bottle of Jack Daniels........when your together with a bunch of friends and open it up you might as well toss the cap in the trash because you ain't gunna need it no more!!
... and problem solved! (although I prefer Glenfiddich -- cask strength, of course!)
Old 11-14-2002, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I gotta fiddle about too... with the top . Maybe the GlenFiddich would help... in either case!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 11-14-2002, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Okay, Bruce! First sunny & dry weekend of spring (above 50 degrees in Boring) I'll head up your way and we can "fiddle" with the tops of the cars and the scotch (I'll bring just a wee bi' o' scotch -- gotta drive home, ya know).
Old 11-14-2002, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No need to bring the Scotch Scott... got it in the freezer await'n yer arrival!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 11-14-2002, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Problem Found, yes
Problem solved, no

Sense I replaced my targa side seals last year, the targa noo nonger fits well in the trunk. I have to push down real hard to get it to latch and I can't open it with the solinoid anymore. Fortunatly, I installed a cable to override the solinoid. The seals leak too.

Are there any correct side seals?
Old 11-15-2002, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would guess that your hinge pivots for the trunk have been replaced at some time, and installed a touch too low. You can unbolt your trunk from the hinges and install washers until you get the desired height/clearance. Another clue is that the trunk lid will sit lower than the surrounding quarter panels-not flush.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mostrow
One other thought on the targa-in-trunk situation...

A trunk that closes with some difficulty over the targa top, but closes normally when the top is not in the trunk, can be caused by the reinforcements that are welded to the underside of the trunk lid. If these welds let go in spots, it causes the reinforcements to separate a bit and push down on the targa top. Sometimes they will rub shiny spots into the fiberglas on the top.

Matt O.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: