Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 6 cyl. displacment changes?

Anybody ever done this or know someone who has - Change a 2.2E to a 2.7 and use the E cam and Weber carbs?

what do you think?
TIA,
Mike D.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've never done it.

Nor would I do it.
It can be done, but the 2.2L case isn't up to the job. One problem is with the spigot lands. They are only about 5mm wide on the 3R case. As I recall, you have to bore them out 5 mm....which leaves
a 2.5 mm land. The 3R case also lacks the internal stiffening of the later 7R case.

The botton line, if you want a hot rod 2.7, start with a 7R case.

Since you would need a 2.4/2.7L crank, rods, 90 mm P/Cs, head work, case work (with the 2.2 or a 2.7L case), it's gets kinda pricey.

Better to get a 3.0L.....like I didn't.
I like my 2.7L, but I figure it's
life limited. If I get 3-4 more years out of it, I'll be happy.....sheesh, if I get 3-4 more years out of ME, I'll be happy.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The thing is I have a 2R case, and I've been told that it's a 2.7. I've read that it isn't easy. But I really need to find out what it is so I can set up the Carbs.

Oh well,
Mike D.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Humm.......
That's a different story.
It falls into the "what's done is done" catagory.

So you're trying to find out what size motor you have?
I assume you don't want to take it apart to do this.

You can check the stroke (roughly) I think.
Through the spark pulg hole with a pair of calipers.....the depth mic feature on calipers. Never tried this, but it should be possible with some fooling around.

66mm for the 2.2. 70.4mm (AIR) for the 2.4/2.7.

A strong magnet will be atracted to the Brial cyls ( the iron liners)of the 2.2...below the fins. The 2.7s clys are all aluminum.

Sorry for the bum reply.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It wasn't a bum reply. I just wanted to know if anyone had done to see if it could be done and what they did. I guess I was fishing for a response...

I'll try that thing with the magnet tonight. I'll let you know...

Thanks,
Mike D.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: