Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Welding a 914

I bought my 914 a couple months ago as a winter project. I've spent these last couple months figuring out how I'm going to aproach this. I plan on tearing it down to the chassis, fixing what needs fixing, and then building it back up. There is rust so I'm guessing I'll have to do some welding to get the chassis back to full strength and replace any parts/areas that are too far gone (if any). I've never welded before so I need to start learning how. I need to buy a welder. I looked at welders on line. Home Depot sells a wire feed welder for about $340. It's 30-100 amps. Would something like this be all I would need to fix anything on a 914? It says it can weld up to 1/4". As far as I can tell there is nothing this thick on the 914. If this won't work, what kind of welder do I need?
74 914, 74 911, 72 914, 66 911, 65 912
Old 11-15-2002, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It would save us all a lot of time if you did a search using key words like "weld" and "rust" and you will find all the info you need.
Good Luck

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-15-2002, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
sorry to waste your time. A little kinder response to somebody who is new to the site would have been more appropriate.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have a wire feed in my shop which I bought mostly to do repairs on stainless parts of various thickness. I would think it would work for the metal on our teeners. I haven't tried it on the car yet but, I'm sure, there will come a day.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 11-15-2002, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
I'm no expert welder, but from what I know, get a gas shielded setup for much cleaner and controlled welds. Buy a bunch of sheet metal/old fenders from a scrap yard to practice on. After your welder, start saving up for a big compressor if you plan on paint/body work.

P.S. While I understand URY914's motivation in his response, I don't share his curt tone. Personally, if I needed to "save time" I wouldn't be reading this forum at all. No offense intended URY914, I'm just sharing my 2 cents, not flaming.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Some time back, I borrowed a friend's 110v Lincoln welder.
Wire feed, gas shield......a slick little unit, with enuff poop to weld
anything on a 914. I'm not sure of the model #, but they only make one 110v jobbie, I think. I tried to buy it from him......he tole me to stuff it...or words to that effect, "go buy your own" was in there, too.

Many of the "inexpensive" rigs are not reliable, or so I have been told.....jaming tips, feed wheels goin' to hell, yada. The Lincoln performed flawlessly.....much better than the operator. I'm told their customer support cannot be faulted.....I dunno, I had it for 3-4 months and couldn't hurt it.

BTW, I used a wire called "Easy Grind" .025 dia. for body work.
It's softer than your typical 6 or 7000 series wire.....thus.....easier to grind...go figure
Old 11-15-2002, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Did a search on "welding" & came up with 102 threads on the subject. If I remember quite a few went into great detail on what & how to.

Best is to decide what your budjet allows for a unit, as with all tools in the long run it pays to buy quality.

And you need to get a good grinder (or two, sizes) when working with metal. Also needed will be hammers, clamps, metal shear (air or hand opperated[snips]) bars, gloves, safety shield, coveralls (100% cotton) and respirator.

As jackmech said, get some used metal after you have decided on which unit and practice making lap & joint welds. The machine will have a book with it to explain how it works ...& practice.

Best advise I can give is get one that will take various sizes of wire and can be used as a gas or non gas feed.....
Old 11-15-2002, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I've been on this list a long time ( in dog years). I can remember most of you fellas coming here.

FNGs coming on need to get their feet wet before they find just how much info there is to be had here ...and how to find it. A little slack for them is a gud thing.

I'm sure that URY's reply was meant to be helpful.....well, semi sure., he may be suffering from olefartism.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Good "ISM" JP. Made me smile first thing this morning..... (it's a good thing, Martha)...
My middle name used to be A** hole whilst doing inspecting jobs for various city construction jobs. and that was OK, but , Heaven Forbid that I ever fall prey to olefartism
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 11-16-2002, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you are just going to be a recreational welder as in hobbyist, then buy a Lincoln or Miller 110 volt unit and make sure it has the Mig conversion kit. As others have said, get some sheet metal and cut a chunk of it out and weld it back in, grind it down and even put body filler on it. Practice makes perfect when doing body work. I practiced buy building little figures out of nuts and bolts and other stuff I had laying around. Practice all the welds, butt, lap...buy a book on basic welding. It can be one of the most rewarding things you do, it also can frustrate you to pieces. The beauty of body work is if you screw it up you take it off and do it again. Have Fun!!!

Randy
Old 11-16-2002, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry if you read my tone as curt. It was not meant the way. What I was trying to say is there is alot of info here and some time spent reading previous posts will most likely answer your questions. By "saving time" I was saying you could read the old posts and you wouldn't have to wait for replies, thus saving time.

And as far as the "oldfartism" comment, I've been called a smarta$$ more than an old fart, but I think I'm now in the transistion stage to old fart.

Once again Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2002, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

9fourteen.....if you've been to the Home Debit then check their Campbell Hausfeld "MigFlux 105" I picked one up a while back and have nothing but good things to say about it......I have only tripped the breaker on it a very few times....I got over zealous and kept going when I knew I shoulda stopped!

It comes WITH the Mig kit and has done everything I have ever asked it to do.....I've welded galvanized horse corral pipe.....steel tubing on my front gates (oops....started thru to quick and caught it with my prerunner bumper.....) and even some thin stuff on my teener......

I'm no expert welder by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to get the job done......I also picked up their HEAVY DUTY 100' extension cord and have welded with it in place......still did an ok job for someone who had NO CLUE as to what to do......

Will it last like a Miller or a Lincoln? Prolly not......BUT I won't ever use this one even close to it's capacity.....

Just my $.02 worth of experience.

Hope this helps,

"Don't close your eyes before the crash....you'll miss the best part!"
Old 11-17-2002, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by URY914
but I think I'm now in the transistion stage to old fart.

To paraprhase from Jeremiah Johnson....an all time great movie, IMO:

"You'll do well, pligrim."
Old 11-17-2002, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Pilgrim

Jer is gonna be after ya fer that un!

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 11-17-2002, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Amen, brother.

Old 11-17-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

The advice here is good, especially the gas shield, AKA MIG. I did my whole project with a Lincoln 100. HOWEVER, if you are like the rest of us, this is just the beginning. You will at some point wish you had the welder that the race car guy has down the street.

THE BEST WELDER: is the Linclon that has infinitely varible current as well as the wire feed. Four settings of current gets aliitle restrctive as you get better. Spend the money. 'Nother $100.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I see that a big hotrod supply outfit...a mountainous one....has the 110v Lincoln F/S, 500 bucks, w/o tank.
That is a very gud price.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
The one at Home Depot that I saw for $340 is a "Lincoln Electric Weld-Pakô 100 HD Combination Wire-Feeder/Welder and Accessories". That's the item title on the site. In the description it says you can "Install K610-1 to easily upgrade the Weld-Pak 100 HD for MIG welding". HomeDepot doesn't sell the MIG upgrade, or at least it's not on their website. Is this the same "Lincoln" welder you guys are refering to?

Thanks for all the replies. Even URY's. I did a search on this topic and many others. Just about every question I have has been answered. Found lots of other good stuff too.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I bought a puny 25 gallon tank 5 hp oilless Sears compressor and regretted it 6 months later. Ended up with an 80 gallon tank, 7hp 220v Porter Cable. Why tell you all this? Lesson learned.

When I went to buy a MIG welder I didn't want to make the same mistake. I bought a 220v Millermatic 175+ with the variable voltage control. By the time I bought the gas bottle, filled it, bought a couple of sizes of wire, gloves, helmet, tip tool etc... I was into the whole mess for something like $750. Haven't used it a lot yet (rusty /6 should cure that problem), but I don't think I'll have ever need a better unit. Miller even has some voltage stabilizer hootzpucker hoohaw for something like $250 that I can use in conjunction with this unit that would allow me to TIG weld. I'll look into that sometime later after I learn how to use what I already have.

Don't forget the other stuff you're gonna need when budgeting for your welder purchase. I want an auto darkening helmet and ....

Ginter's 914 stuff

Last edited by gint; 11-18-2002 at 06:16 AM..
Old 11-18-2002, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I started with the same welder you are looking at and it worked great until I wanted to weld aluminum. I had to go to a 220v model to get the needed amp capacity. The gas makes for much less sparks and chance of a fire and much cleaner welds so I'd recommend using a gas bottle. A fire proof blanket and some "heat sink" in a ture is also very handy. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: