Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Nice surprise

When I bought my 74 2.0 the motor was not in it, I had no idea of it's condition. I had a feeling that it was not to bad because it came with a used set of 94mm p&c's. While dismantling the motor today I was pleasently surprised to find a nice new set of 96 mm p&c's in it. I was pumped, I also noticed that the valve adjusters were swivel foot...sweet. The lifters also looked very new, I think I'll just go thru the heads and put it back together. The only bad news is that I'm typing this one handed since I tore my finger nail off while pulling one of the push rod tubes out...ouch! I do have a question, what type of swivel foot adjusters have an allen wrench adjuster, meaning you would use an allen wrench instead of a screw driver to adjust it. I'll post a pick if someone needs it. Beside the finger I would consider this a great day!!

Randy
Old 11-16-2002, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Talking

Cool! Sounds like a nice few surprises. The only thing I can offer you is that the 911 adjusters I *think* are allen headed. Do a search regarding web cam, or under my user name. I asked a similar question about the adjusters, and somebody posted a link. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2002, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Big deal, I type one handed most of the time. My right gets to tired to hold up. (LOL)
Enjoy the pleasant surprise!

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 11-16-2002, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My genuine 911 adjusters are flat head screwdriver sloted.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here is a pic of it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adjuster.jpg (26.2 KB, 393 views)
Old 11-16-2002, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
They are probably the Bugpack ones so switch em out for the real thing. Don't take chances.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-16-2002, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Randy,

Sorry to hear about the fingernail. I didn't tear mine completely off, but enough to know it hurt like a SOB!

I no longer remove pushrod tubes before pulling the heads. I found you can do it in one shot. Once the head nuts are off, you can slowly work the head off and it brings the tubes with it. Otherwise I use a specially padded curved plyers to work them loose. No more banged knuckles or ripped fingernails for me (I hope).

Hang in there!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I stopped over to Randy's to look at his motor, it sure is clean and looks ready to go.

Everything looked good, the heads just need some cleaning and the lifters were in good shape (no pitting and they still had a bit of a dome to 'em) so I would have to assume the rest of it is good. I think Randy is going to give a quick peak down inside the barrels at the rods and such just for good measure.

Randy, didya get the oil pump off yet? If it's an aftermarket cam (hopefully webcam) it will be marked so you'll know what you've got.

BTW, I have a great set of needle nose pliers (about 1 foot long) that work GREAT on installing pushrod tubes.

Later,
Tom
Old 11-17-2002, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey Tom,
If it's allright with you I may need to borrow your head spring compression tool. I have not toched the oil pump yet, I may look at it today.

Randy
Old 11-17-2002, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 1bad914
Hey Tom,
If it's allright with you I may need to borrow your head spring compression tool. I have not toched the oil pump yet, I may look at it today.

Randy
Not the one Tom and I made out of a Jeep bumper and top frame tubing?

Good luck!

Later,

G
Old 11-18-2002, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ohhh, Come on... It's not THAT bad...

It did compress the dual wound springs better than anything else. LOL

Give me a lever long enough and I can lift the world (or compress these #%@!#$# dual wound valve springs!!!!).

Later,
Tom
Old 11-18-2002, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I got a hold of a c-clamp type spring compressor so I won't need your bumper model! Thanks anyways. My plans are to have the motor back together by the weekend. I'm ordering the gasket set from Pelican this morning. OBTW I talked to Ron last night, I'll be going up to Holland to see the 57 soon. It sounds like I might grab it. Just what I need another project...yahoo!

Randy
Old 11-18-2002, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Cool,

Glad you got a hold of Ron, I guess if you need a place to crash after your wife kicks you out, I have a pretty decent couch... LOL

I should take a picture of that compressor and post it just to show how hideously ugly it is, but it works so well...

Later,
Tom
Old 11-18-2002, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Oh young Jedi, you have yet to learn the ways of convincing the spousal unit that you really need another car. One day this Jedi Master will school you in the ways of the force...or is that farce!!!

Randy (Obi Wan Can I please bring another home...nobi)

Old 11-18-2002, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Ahhh, I see...

Actually, Ron has a really, and I mean really, nice 61 sitting on a cherry (and original) 63 pan.

If you got that car, you would definatly be in the Southern MI VW circle of darkness That car has gotten around more than the city bicycle.

Need a 2.0L set of rods??? LOL

Later,
Tom
Old 11-18-2002, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: