Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 914-4 rotors

Is there any difference in the rotors on a 914-4? Will the front ones fit all years ? Will the rear fit all years? Is there any difference In the fronts ones and the rear ones? I might need to know before I go looking for some.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think 70-72 use different rotors than 73-76. They have different part numbers. Front and rear are different (they offer front and rear, so i assume there is a difference)
Old 11-16-2002, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche Crest 914-4 rotors

I have been told that the rear brake calipers will fit all year 914's. Ao I can assume that the calipers, rotors and pads are all the same for the rears. I posted a thread here about the "magic serial number " for 72's, that after 19033 ( the last five numbers in the VIN) that these cars used 73 stuff, so I guess that after that serial number the rotors changed too. But I understand that the 73's and higher had a little raised area to sit the center of the wheel on while putting the lug bolts in the hub. My 72 was produced after #19033 but it does not have that raised area on the hub. It is completely flat. I figured that the later rotor/hub would have this raised area. so are there 3 types of front rotors? the early 70-72, the late 72( after #19033 ) with no raised area on the hub, and 73-76 with the raised area?
Old 11-16-2002, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

John,
Yes, there are three different front rotors for the 914, the 914-6 rotors, the 914-4 rotors prior to the serial no. you mentioned, and the 914-4 late rotors, starting with the serial no. you mentioned. The front calipers on the early cars (prior to the serial number you mentioned) are smaller than the later calipers and "are not" interchangeable with the later calipers.

The later rotors with the raised ring around the center are referred to by some as "hubcentric" in that they automatically aligin the wheel during installation. Whereas the earlier rotors are only aligned by the location of the bolt holes in the rotors. So if the rotor holes have "any" slop, it is possible to torque the wheel off center, making it rotate "out of round".

Phil
Old 11-17-2002, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: