Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

John Rogers...

I see you lurking there and I gots a question.

As I recall, you are running the 9 inch Goodyear canteleiver slicks on 7s. How far do they stick out past the wheel rim? I've been told it's quite a ways.....I need to know zackly......+/- 1/8 th or so.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

FWIW I was looking at the slicks recently (Woodley tire page?) and there is at least one model in an 8" size that will fit a 7" wheel. The section width is still large though, I don't think any amount of pulling would do it. Your hammer & dolly fenders should though.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 11-17-2002, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The tread on my 225 Kuhmos is fully 8.5 inches. I have about a 1/2 inch clearance....but no neg camber. Bout 5/8 on the inside
which will get eaten up with more Ncamber.......I really would like to know.

I'll prolly have to beat the livin' dog s*** out of the front fenders
to get the 9 inchers to fit, but I can test fit the 225s in front to get an idea....more lovely primer.

I suppose I could just buy one used slick and put it on a wheel.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Or you could just bite the bullet and slap some GT flares on the car

Personally I like the narrow-body look and was never a big fan of the tacked-on flares. For me, it's either a stock-ish body or a real widebody with clean lines, i.e. Sheridan.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes, when you reach the point that I've gotten to with your car, ie: broke you may become a tight wad also. I have access to a porta power.....a poor mans big flares are in reach...or stretch, if you prefer.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Great minds think alike...if I need more room on my car, the "slice n' splice" method is probably the way I'll go. Odds are not high that I will go to slicks on this car, but I would like to fit 16" Hoosiers in the max possible width without resorting to tacked-on flares.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I guess I need to read these posts a little more?? The Goodyear slicks were made to get past the SCCA rules that mandated rim size as the factor, I.E. 7 inch wide maximum, so the made a full 9 inch wide tire that could fit on it and also work very well. The contact patch is actually about 9.25 inches and the section width is 10.4 inches so there is about 1.75 inches of overhang on each side of the rim. The diameter is only 23.0 inches so they are very low profile. The sidewalls are unbelievably stiff and because of that there are some shops that will not touch them. They wear very well and since they are a bias ply tire they like having about 0 degrees negative camber to get an even temperature across the tire. Hooser makes a comparitable tire but it does not have quite the same wear. Good luck with them.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/products/racect28.html

Last edited by John Rogers; 11-18-2002 at 05:59 AM..
Old 11-18-2002, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hoosiers

The Hoosier slicks are radials. They have about the same dimensions as the Goodyears. I run with about 0.9 to 1 degree negative camber in front and 0.7 degrees negative at the rear. The Hoosiers wear very well unless you drive like a maniac and slide the car around alot. They are competetive with the Goodyears, maybe even better. I think they might also be slightly less expensive than the Goodyears as well.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Humm.....Thanks John...and both Chris's.
Other trusted sources tell me the same thing bout the camber on the Goodyears......Plan A is shot in the ass. The width/overhang
info will really help, tho.

Racer Chris has muddied my personal pool.....tho maybe in a good way.

I was hoping to switch back and forth between Dot R tires and slicks without having to change camber setting....a PITA.
The Goodyears make that impossible. The Hoosiers have some promise, however.
They are about the same size as the Goodyears, eh?
Do you have a model # for the Hoosiers? Slide around?
Not me :-)

Getting the tires hot is tough, but I've "partnered up" with a local fast guy in my car for this next season. I be the designated tire wamer. He's about 2 seconds quicker than me (on a 50 sec course) in my car......auggh. I'll be workin' on that.

If Eric Fry or Blesyng (sp?) read this.
Can I run slicks in GTO at the Bremerton PCA AX?
Old 11-18-2002, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm glad the info is helping. We tested both Goodyears and Hoosers a couple of years ago and that is when we decided to go with Goodyears. I imagine the Hoosers have gotten better by now. One car was my 200HP stroker 4 and the other was a 300HP MOTEC injected six, both cars had limited slips and close ratio gear boxes. We did notice the negative camber requirements for the front although the rears probably did not matter as much and that the rear wheels seemed to spin easier with the Hoosers than with the Goodyears? The soft compound Goodyears need very little warming, especially good for auto-x sessions. The 9x23x15 size will fit under rolled and slightly flared front fenders and the rears take some work. As you probably noticed on pictures of my car the rears have been notched and stretched, no flares required. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
re: Hoosiers

JP,

If your brain doesn't hurt already from this, here is some more to consider.
The slicks will take a couple of runs to "come in" at an autocross. The car will handle like ***** at first. If you are co-driving the car it won't be so bad, but the second driver will be the beneficiary for sure.
If you're running alone I suggest that a Hoosier AX compound would be quicker and feel pretty good right away. Usually twice as much camber is required to run a DOT tire without wearing the outside of the tread. I guess if you are driving to the event on street tires, then changing to slicks, the camber issue would be no problemo.
My experience with the Hoosier slicks at an AX is that if you can get through the early runs without getting too frustrated, by the third or fourth run they work real good and you will be faster than on DOT tires, except maybe an AX compound tire nearly as wide as the slicks. Also the slicks will last longer than an AX compound, and are nearly the same price. (about $175 each)
The slicks have a tendency to lose air, as much as 1/2 overnight sometimes. They run at much lower pressures - about 24lbs hot.
Hoosier slicks are designated 23x9.5x15 and come in R45 compound only. Most tire mounting shops won't be able to mount or dismount them because of the stiff sidewall.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sigh......brain burn has set in. Lessee.

I can take the slicks to an SCCA race day and have the guys in the tire trailer mount em'.

Since we are both crafty old farts, we'll try to run in the same run group....We can do that fer sure at the PCA....cause we run it, he,he... SCCA will be tougher, but it's doable.

I've seen guys with traction compound slathered on their slicks...
seen guys just heating their slicks on the first few runs......ugly, but effective.

The Hoosier AX compound don't last long enuff to justify the expense.....I ain't going to Topeka. The road race dotRs look gud tho if necessary to keep the rules folks happy.

I have a trailer to haul a slicked up car.

My haid hurts.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Getting the tires hot is tough,

Come on JP, it's easy to get the tires hot. Just turn your steering wheel sharply back and forth real fast on the pace laps like on TV :-)
Old 11-19-2002, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Heh... We had a local time-trialer who signed up for the First Ever Porsche Club Race At Sears Point. (Yes, it was still Sears Point back then.) On the warm-up lap, he was doing the left-right-left-right thing to warm up his tires. In turn 5, he got a little too vigorous about it and lost control. He went into the tire wall, and the car rolled over on its top.

Oops. Not a good way to start a race.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-19-2002, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: