Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Chirrrrrrp

Driving my car last night, I noticed a chirping noise emanating from the engine compartment during 3/4 throttle at higher rpm prior to a shift. I'm suspecting the Bosh blue coil or the Crane XR700 mounted to the firewall based on previous posts. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Is it carbureted?
Old 11-20-2002, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Stock 1974 2.0 FI
Old 11-20-2002, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
chirrrrrp

Check the thru-out bearing or rear carrier bearings they could be the culprt.
2002 Land Rover Disco
2002 Astro Van
32' motor home
Old 11-20-2002, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have some simple stuff

>check the alternator fan belt...loose?
>check the distributor cam...Dry?
>check evrything sheet metal...loose?

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 11-20-2002, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Maybe you have the ultra-rare "Coal Miner Edition" 914 (usually installed on yellow cars). In this case you will be happy to know that you are not being starved for air while driving.

If the chirping should quit, you need to first check the canary (I think they were usually clamped next the battery tray, but with rust over the years you don't know where the PO may have moved it).

The next check is NOT the heat exchangers, because we know they all leak. What you need to check is to make sure the seals for the top and windows are OK, and operating as a "passenger air comfort system" like originally designed.

If they are defective, then rain will not come in and you will hear no wind noise. A proper 914 top seal will let a good-sized water drop hit the driver in the foehead at a critical moment in traffic.

Also, the alternate "wind speedometer" should be working properly. Each ten MPH increase in speed should bring a new and distinct whistle from various parts of the top and side windows.

Good luck.

JWest Engineering
Old 11-20-2002, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Sir, I applaud you. THAT was beautiful.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
my car

James ; How the heck did you get my 914 out of storage and drive it around . Very cute! Put it back now!!!!!! Dave
Old 11-20-2002, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: