Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to handyher Send a message via Yahoo to handyher
fuel pump ?

Help ---- can fuel pump be rebuilt ???? I have a 74 1.8L with Ljet - just hooked up fuel pump to gas and suprise ! gas came a bubbllin' up around where the electric plug goes in. Is there a fix for this or do I just bite it a get a new one or does someone out there have a spare they would be willing to sell.

thanks

71 914
65 fstbk mustang
97 "burb"
94 pic um up
Old 11-20-2002, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Renee, do a search on fuel pumps. I did one last night after reading your post and found that the rebuild kits weren't reliable (according to Pelican) so it was said to find a used one or spend the big bucks for a new one.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 11-21-2002, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Some people have had luck prying the crimped part of the pump open, disassembling it, then taking the O-ring to their local hardware store to find a replacement. I suggest finding an O-ring that will not dissolve in gasoline.

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/#FuelPumpTool

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-21-2002, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

boom! get a fire extinguisher and bite the bullet on a pump.
01 f250 psd dirty the mule
60 correct craft starflite cool
69 correct craft torino hauls butt
72 correct craft ski nautique fun
66 vw 1500s will finish someday

Last edited by tryan; 11-21-2002 at 06:35 AM..
Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to handyher Send a message via Yahoo to handyher
Wink fuel pump

thanks dave,

did just that and now am off to store . I used a seal puller to uncrimp it. worked okay.

71 914
65 fstbk mustang
97 "burb"
94 pic um up
Old 11-21-2002, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to eric_ciampa
I just had to replace the fuel pump on my 74 1.8L and it was expensive. the 1.8l have the three ports and i guess those run more than the other models. I think mine was $285 or around there and from what i hear that is not a bad price.,,

Personally i am the guy that wants to rebuild rather than spend a fe extra bucks from my ever shrinking budget. But be carefull with the fuel pump. especially because it was leaking out of that electrical connection. I can see that going up in flames. saving money is good but just watch what your doing... good luck

you can write me directly at CHAMP914@hotmail.com [just no signing me up for any junk mail ]
Old 11-21-2002, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: