Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Limited Edition Poster

Have you ever seen this poster before and do you know if a poster was made of the USA Limited Edition cars?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100000 914 gt.jpg (41.4 KB, 553 views)
Old 11-21-2002, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey Jeff,

I've been so swamped at work, I completely forgot about it... (big sorry).
Did you work out a deal with Arno?

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 11-21-2002, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Didn't the U.S.A. LE cars have a PORSCHE side stripe? If so, that would be a Euro car...
-Mike D.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, that's right. The lack of a side marker light is another indication.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-21-2002, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Is that the same car that used to be on the Porsche site as a '75? course it didn't have the words on the bottom....
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-21-2002, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Below is the photo that was the previous '75' car on the www.porsche.com website. It is also in a couple of other book sources and is labelled the '914 GT'. The 914 GT was supposedly the European version of the USA 914 Limited Edition.

This photo, while of the same car, is slightly different than the poster photo. See the differences?

BTW, Can anyone identify the visual differences between this car and a USA 914 Limited Edition, other than the stripes, side markers, front turn signal lights and front bumper guards?

There are two primary differences...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p19canamp7a.jpg (52.9 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by bowlsby; 11-22-2002 at 09:24 AM..
Old 11-22-2002, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here is a second photo of the same car, if it helps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p20.jpg (62.4 KB, 388 views)
Old 11-22-2002, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

More hints:

Old 11-22-2002, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sail Vinyl!!!!!

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-22-2002, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Good Geoff....more correctly 'vinyl Targa bar covering...and there is more....come back...
Old 11-22-2002, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, I got on my other computer and the rims are all painted vs the US version has a silver edge.
What about center console, sway bars, shocks etc? I thought LE had different stuff than a 2.0l with apperance and sport packages.
Geoff
Do I get a prize????

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-22-2002, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyseng
[B]Ok, I got on my other computer...
Get off! You'll break it!
Old 11-22-2002, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think Jeff is trying to say that the wheels on that car are Fuchs, which is what we have read in one or two sources. But Jeff, if you look they are clearly Mahle wheels...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-23-2002, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Been digging through my books. Only thing I could find is that these were called "GT" in europe and "LE" in the US.

They canceled the "Can Am" name after dropping out of CanAm compitition as well as it looked too much like the Carrera script on the 911 RS

The US versions had the Porsche script on the sides (unlike the one in the pic, which is a euro version)

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 11-23-2002, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wayne, I don’t know about the ride height...are there specs for ride height for the Euro cars...Seems to me I have seen s 90cm dimension somewhere for the fronts...

Geoff...yes you see what I see, fully painted wheel lips and Targa vinyl. Those were too easy...but there will be a prize if the important questions can be resolved. This 914 GT car series was supposed to be produced as the European counterpart to the USA Limited Editions.

Dave, I knew they were Mahles...8^)

Jeroen, we read the same books!

I am building a website with every morsel of information I can find about these cars and I have discovered some discrepancies and contradictions in the info available. I posted this thread to see if anyone could help with certain nagging questions:

1. Was there a poster of the USA Limited Edition like this one of the 914 GT? And if so did it also list the 100000 car production milestone?

2. IF this is a true 914 GT (and I don't think it is), why does it have Targa vinyl and fully painted wheels, different from the USA LE cars?

3. There is an authoritative book ‘Das Grosse VW-Porsche 914’ which says that the 914 GT cars had no Targa vinyl, and Fuchs with wheel centers only painted. I was hoping our European friends or a 914 collector may have photos of other 914 GTs they would post...you know not a posed factory shot, but a privately owned or car show type photo.

4. Paraphrased, Das Grosse also says , ‘in the end, the 914 Can Am cars were only delivered to the USA as Limited Editions’.

All this leads me to think that not only are the photos of a late prototype, where the final form of a 914 GT had no Targa vinyl and Fuchs with wheel centers-only painted, but that the 914 GT was never actually produced.

Anyone here know any different?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2002, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I remember seeing a 100,000 car poster for the USA but I can't recall if it was a LE. The milestone happened at the end of the 74 run like the Euro poster shows.
Has anyone one else seen one of the green LE?
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-23-2002, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: