Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fix my AUX Air Reg

Pull the top off of it. It just needs to be cleaned.

I grab the body of the AUX in a vise and use a phillips head screw driver to "pop" the top off. Mark the clocking position of the "top" BEFORE you pop it off. I use a paint marker.

When the top is off you will see a steel sleave with a small window in it. This sleave is connected to the heating element in the bottom of the AUX. The sleave rotates with the element when it warms up and closes off the window that leads to atmosphere.

This AUX is nothing more than a controlled vacuum leak.

The sleave gets stuck and needs to be "free". As long as you can feel the AUX get warm when voltage is applied, your standing a 90% chance it will work just fine once you get the sleave moving freely.

I use my finger to work the sleave in a circular motion while applying some kind of penetration fluid. DO NOT try and rotate the sleave a full 360deg. It is attached to the heating element. It will only rotate about 180deg.

I use a small 12 volt battery to test them after I get it free in the bore. You can watch it move as the element gets hot. After testing it a few times, tap the top back on in the correct clocked position.

Sorry I dont have pics... and dont have acces to a AUX to shoot them right now.

B
Old 11-22-2002, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Evil Brad , are you saying you don't pry the rolled flange seal away from the top? You just lever the top off? That could save a lot of time in doing the refurbishing. My concern is that the aluminum ports on the unit are pretty fragile, how are you prying the top with the screwdriver?
Old 11-22-2002, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Satan speaking:

Literally take a large phillips head screw driver and stick into the port that leads to atmosphere. Pry up. It pops off with little effort. You may have to wiggle it side to side before prying.Sometimes when you put it back on, it will be loose. You may or may not have to restake the top (dimple the sides to hold the top again)

The top port is plenty strong to pry with.

The key: what do you have to lose if the thing was bad anyway ??

Wishing my parts and cars wherent buried from the move.

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 11-22-2002 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-22-2002, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There are some photos of an opened AAR here: AAR Photos
Old 11-22-2002, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: