Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to LateApex
Who makes these Flares?

That's Gary Dorighi (sp?) 's car. from the SF region PCA. He was my instructor at T-hill.

Are they a custom deal? It almost looks like the stock fenders were cut and extendedededededededed out. I like them because they aren't extreme and can still fit some pretty wide wheels/tires.

73 2.0L Project 914-6 PCA club racer
95 993C2 Grand Prix White
Old 11-22-2002, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I don't know who made those, but John Kelly's look very similar. Search posts by him.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep, cut and pulled out with material welded in. I know he didn't do it, he once told me the guys name but I have since forgot it.

I do know he is in the bay area as well.

Gary is running 15x8's on all four corners.

His car inspired me to flare my first 914...

Mike
Old 11-22-2002, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LateApex
yeah, I sat in his car. Maddddd traction. that thing was insane. I love the way it looks, it's so aggressive.

73 2.0L Project 914-6 PCA club racer
95 993C2 Grand Prix White
Old 11-22-2002, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

It looks kinda like this one. This shot is from a D&G a couple of years ago. Anybody know this car or the flare?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flare_rear_914.jpg (58.8 KB, 3591 views)

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-23-2002, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think that was one of the D&G meets that I showed for. I remember talking to the owner briefly and him saying that those were formed by cutting slices into the fender and pulling them out, and then welding new metal in and refinishing.

Custom work.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-23-2002, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Never left, but not right

Those are awesome! That guy is either the best metal man on the planet or there is a ton of bondo on there.
From my personal experience, one would have to slice the fender upwards from the arch to get that much strectch out of the fender.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yeah, I think that's what he said. "Pie-wedge slices" or words to that effect.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-23-2002, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to John Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to John Kelly
The flares on the black car above look almost exactly like the rear flares I'm making. I like that look a lot. Ive finished my prototypes, and am about 2 weeks away from having prices nailed down.

http://metalshapers.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?ownerid=9990093068868

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 11-24-2002, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Check this link out - shows one man's approach to the cut / add / weld "flarification" technique.

http://home3.inet.tele.dk/box164/html/fischer_part_2.html
Old 11-24-2002, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

john,

what's the widest wheel/tire combination you can put underneath your prototype flares?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to John Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to John Kelly
The flares are approximately 2" wider in the back, and about 1-1/2" wider in the front. What will fit depends on wheel back-spacing, ride height, suspension stiffness, and tire size. Too many variables to be accurate about what tire will fit. There is some discretion on the part of the installer as to how wide the flares end up. For more on this perform a search for flares. The link below has some pictures.

http://metalshapers.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?ownerid=9990093068868

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 11-24-2002, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: