Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wiring up 3.2 motronic brain to 1970 914

I have wires labeled from my motronic brain and need help hooking it up to the chassis wiring harness.

1) large red wire that needs to be connected to 12v battery. Where and how should I connect this wire?

2) red wire with green stripe. Needs to be hooked up with fuse and then fuel pump. Where and how and what do I do with old power wire to old fuel pump. Using 3.2 fuel pump.

3) 2 small black wires need to go to sw 12v. Don't know whst sw stands for.

4) black wire with purple stripe to 911 tach. Where and how and what do I do with old tach wire?

5)yellow wire to starter switch. I assume ignition switch. How and where?

6) med thickness black wire to switched power. I am not sure what this means.

All these wires are coming out of motronic brain and need to be hooked up inorder to get things moving.
Thanks.
Buck
Old 11-23-2002, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
"Sw power" is almost certainly switched power.

"Switched power" means something that has +12v when the key is on.

The 914 does have a yellow starter wire, and a black/purple tach wire.

I suggest hooking the switched power wires to the relay board. Also the yellow starter wire and the tach wire as well. There are pins on the board that provide these signals; trace them out on the diagram that is available elsewhere on this site.

The red wire to the battery should run to the battery. Just go ahead and run it there. I suggest putting a fuse no more than 18" of wire length away from the battery. Not sure of what rating, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-23-2002, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave, a few questions

Dave:
I do not have the relay board in the engine compartment anymore. I have the chassis pins hooked directly up to the engine harness. Right now if I turn on the key the starter does turn over. That said the yellow wire out of the motronic brain should it hook into the ignition switch? I haven't looked at the color of the starter wire but assuming it is yellow would it be hooked up in the ignition switch?
Should I somehow patch the motronic tach wire into the chassis tach wire?
Finally should I run a new wire from the battery to the wire of the motronic unit? It is a fairly thick wire. Hook it up to the positive battery cable?
Buck
Old 11-23-2002, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The yellow almost certainly (I said almost, I'm not that familiar with Motronic stuff!) is the starter wire--the one in the car is yellow. I'd piggyback it in where the body and starter harnesses connect, just as if it were on the relay board.

There was a 14-pin connector on the front of the relay board. Those wires should contain everything you need to hook up the wires you mention.

There is a bk/pu wire on pin #7, for instance. Hook that up to the bk/pu wire of your Motronic unit. (Note that you'll need a late 911 tach.)

Pin #8 has a black wire that supplies "switched power" to the relay board. This would power the coil on a 914-4. It also triggers a relay which powers the EFI, which in turn triggers the fuel pump relay when appropriate. I would suggest setting up a relay to supply switched power to the Motronic--I wouldn't trust the ignition switch and that one black wire to supply everything. (Easiest way is to make your own relay board, I suppose.)

I don't know if the Motronic ECU powers the fuel pump directly or through a relay--I would suspect through a relay, and if so then you really want to go through a relay to the pump... Pin #13 feeds the stock fuel pump wires, so you might be able to use that wire.

And as for the red one, yes run a wire to the battery (+) terminal, but put a fuse near the battery. I don't know what rating.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-23-2002, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: