Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Horn issues...angry

This is killing me. Momo wheel, with the hub. Horn doesnt work. Where do the wires go? I know the horn works, because it will blow now and again. Could somebody provide me with some "Preschool " insrtuctions? (meaning step-by step) Thanks. Its kinda embarassing driving around, and suddenly having my horn start blaring out of control...
Old 11-23-2002, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't know about the Momo, but I can tell you how the stock horn works.

When you press the button, a circuit is completed. The wire that comes up the center of the steering column gets shorted to the column, which is a ground. This triggers the horn relay, sounding the horn.

I would guess that you'd have that wire and a ground wire hooked up to your Momo wheel's horn button. (The ground may just hook to the steering column itself, that is a decent enough ground.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-23-2002, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You might want to describe what you did.

Here's what I did...

I used this Momo wheel which may be configured slightly different from some of the more simple Momo wheels.

Remove old steering wheel.

Make sure the brass (or are they copper) horn contact tabs on the turn signal switch are flat with a slight upward kink to it. This is important as they need to come in contact with the horn contact ring (see below).

Temporarily place Momo hub over the splines on the steering wheel shaft. Do not secure with the steering wheel nut.

Temporarily mount the steering wheel to the Momo hub with a couple of the hex mounting screws.

Determine proper positioning of hub on steering shaft, (in relation to the wheel being centered and wheels pointing forward). You may wanna take it for a drive. Get the car going in a straight line and then reposition the wheel and hub on the spline so that it is centered.

Attach wheel to hub with mounting screws

Remove horn contact ring from backside of old steering wheel (mounted via 3 screws).

Mount horn ring on back of new Momo hub. The turn signal cancel tab should be positioned on the back side at the 3:00 as you are holding the wheel as if you were driving.

The horn ring should have a wire attached to it....

Feed this wire through the hole in the Momo mounting hub. You will probably have to cut of the male spade connector (that's what mine had) and attach a female spade connector that will mate with the gold male spade connector on the back of the Momo horn button. (This is the positive connection)

The Momo horn button has a spring coming out of it that should be partially uncoiled (sticking out of the horn button) so that it touches either the steering wheel mounting nut or the side of the steering Momo hub. (This is the ground connection).

Mount the horn button back on the wheel.

Now when you depress the horn button, you momentarily make contact between the positive and negative connection and honk your horn.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if I confused you anywhere. I can also take a few pics if you need to.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks kellezy. Thats just what I needed. Ill give it a shot tommorow.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am having a different problem but related. my horn works great until I go for a drive...I know I am missing something. the wire attached to the back of the horn button is fished through the little hole
on the contact ring on the back of the hub it goes to the brown and wht wire under steering column. when I go for a drive and turn the wheel the wire gets wrapped around the column and breaks, wha t am I missing?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: