Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
Body work and paint pictures

I hope no one hates me for doing it, but I am gonna post a bunch of pictures on here to show the before during and after pics of my cars restoration. Please everyone let me know what you think. I will post a picture with a brief description of it so everyone knows what is going on. My favorite thing on this forum is looking at all of the pictures, so I thought I would share some.

Here I will post the before pictures:

This is a shot of my "new" trunk lid I had to get after I got rear ended by a Jeep on the Freeway. I got this for $40 at the local pick and pull. What a steal!

This is a shot of when I tried out the EMPI style wheels on my teener. I ended up going with 5 lug Fuchs. Also you can see that I like to bump into things with the front end. That fender has been repaired I don't know how many times.

Here is my hood after I rear ended a truck in the rain. I had to use a screw driver to get the hood to latch. This was the result.

Here my friend wanted to show mw what his newly acquired 1974 Corvette could do. He went to pass me, cut me off and took out my side marker light. It was a little squirley for me for a sec, but he ended up in a tree. That was a short lived car experience for him. This is what it did to my car.

After all that it wasn't that bad. Here is how I drove my car (daily driver) for the last two years.

Next post . . . In the shop.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Here are some shots in the body shop.

Here she is all masked off and primered up.

Whoops, missed a dent. Gotta love Bondo.

Funny story here. I went to take off the rocker panels. THere must have been 15lbs of dirt, rocks, sand, and small animals that came crashing out from behind. I was scared to look, knowing the horror stories with regards to rust. But alas, NONE! Gotta love California.

Here the shop owner let me do some finish sanding before it went into the paint booth. I had to take a picture of my masterpiece. hehe

Now for a really funny story. You will notice that the windshield washer hole has been filled, sanded down and primed. I however did not notice this. Not here. Not once it was painted. Not when I got it home. Only when I went to install the new ones I ordered did I notice that the hole was just . . . GONE! Too funny I think. My room mate gave me more crap than anyone else in the world.

Next, after paint . . .
Old 11-23-2002, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
As soon as I got the call that it had been painted I told my boss I wasn't feeling well, grabbed my camera and drove to the body shop. Here is what I saw . . .

No more door dings, and the first one I get now, I assure you . . . heads WILL roll. Not that I dont trust people in parking lots . . . WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT, I trust NO ONE in parking lots!!!

This shot makes me not want to put the vinyl on. But I do love the way it sparkles after a good armor all. Yeah, I will put it back on.

I took this picture, still I had no clue that the hole was gone. How could I not notice, SHEESH

No door dings here either. Lets keep it that way people!

No hood on, but i know she is gonna be beautiful!!!

Next episode . . . ASSEMBLY!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great looking work MD.

I hope you will have it assembled for a Roadglue breakfast or meet soon. Bring it on out when its ready!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well, it took almost two weeks working nights when I got home from work. But here is the finished product. Feel free to ask any questions. But please, I beg you, don't ask me how much it cost.

Here she is, my pride and joy. Putting the vinyl on straight was a real BI*CH, but I think it looks good.

I know some people don't like the rear reflector, But I love it, so I kept it.

The oil spots in the driveway believe it or not, are not fom my beloved teener, but from my new daily driver, a 1992 Lexus ES300. Hey what gives, I have a 914 that doesn't leak, and a Toyota that does. WHAT GIVES!

And finally the money shot, gotta love those Fuchs wheels.

Well, fellow 914 lovers, lemme know what you think, so I can justify it to myself (I already have, I just want to get some feedback) Now that it is done I will hope to start meeting some of you at 914 events. That is the only time I will leave the garage now, is to take her to 914 events, and or sunny Sundays.

I guess I also need to change my signature now, no more white door, no more primer, and the only black is where it is supposed to be.

Enjoy the pics.

-Chris
Old 11-23-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Looks great!

So how did the windshield washer hole get plugged? Did the body shop do by accident?

Did you do all the prep and then have it sprayed?
Old 11-23-2002, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

WOW that looks great, I love that blue. I just bought a 74 same color blue. I don't think you should stress on the plugged washer nozzle holes, I've removed more than a few and I live in Oregon, rain capital of the Pacific Northwest. Stick your hand out with a squeeze bottle of 20/20 and voila...
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
PS. Good looking euro front turn signal lenses
Old 11-23-2002, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice work! I love that color. I just dumped a load of money into my 914, but everytime I drive it, I know why I did. Enjoy it!
Old 11-23-2002, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
First the body shop did it by accident. I just carefully measured and then drilled it out. I was dead on (THANK GOD!)

Second, the color was a limited edition 911 color from 1981-1983 it is called Slate Blue Metallic and it can be found in any Porsche color book.

Third, Craig, I hoped you would like them, the conversion kit is from you!

-Chris
Old 11-23-2002, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looks great! I love to see them finished. Maybe someday I'll have finished pics to show off.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Does anyone have a recommendation on what wheel polish to use to really bring out the shine of the Fuchs wheels? They look dull in the pictures.

-Chris
Old 11-25-2002, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
C'mon no body has a recommendation about what wheel polish works best . . . ?
Old 03-03-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mothers. Its in a red can.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Jeff! I will go get some right now!

-Chris
Old 03-03-2003, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent color choice; beautifully done. I liked the sail panels sans vinyl. You've every right to feel proud about this one!
Old 03-03-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you very much. My car appreciates your kind words (me too!)

-Chris
Old 03-03-2003, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Great job Chris!!! I love the color.

Justin
1970 914-6 #1960
My Dyno run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i8E51PmUgw&sns=em
Old 03-03-2003, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

That is one great looking car.

I like Brasso for metal polish.

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 03-03-2003, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Your car

MAD DOG; Looks great,this is the ascents of this sport, it the result of your thought , work,and effort. Have fun, the rest is about to begin. Dave
M.V.R.P.C.A.
73,BLACK ,2.0
Old 03-03-2003, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I think more work and effort than thought, although there was a lot of days when I thought "man wouldn't it be nice to drive her today" HA!

Thanks everyone for helping me along with this project.

Next up, 6 cylinder conversion!!! At Brad's convienence of course!

-Chris
Old 03-03-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: