Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

exhaust suggestions for my 3.2

I currently have a set of headers on my 3.2 1970 914 sold by Patrick motor sports. Included in the package is a set of ss dual mufflers with o2 sensor hooked on. My problem is that they hang down so low under the rear valance. I am afraid the first pot hole and YIKES! Any suggestions on how to tuck a different muffler up into its rightful place?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your only option (at this time) is a stock style Dansk muffler. This is the reason why the factory inlets are at the very bottom of the banana muffler. It tucks it in under the car nicely. The other option is a Triad setup. One other requires fab work but sounds great for little money (Flowmaster dual in single out or FM dual in dual out. You have to fab pipes from the header to the muffer and from the muffler out)

I used to visit brown county state park when I was a kid.

B
Old 11-24-2002, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Oh.. can you tell us how those headers fit the car ?? Patrick resells the B+B header..most of them dont fit the first time.

B
Old 11-24-2002, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You could get some "extender" pipes to replace those mufflers, and go to a stock early 911 muffler, (2 in, one out), which will fit in the original stock location. You'll have to trim the valence exit hole slightly, but it'll give you a very sleeper look. Also, you can modify said muffler to the 2-in, 2-out sport configuration, but it will be louder. Or, you can buy some Flowmasters from Summit or Jegs, etc, and have your local muffler shop weld up the fittings for a few bucks.

Have you talked to Jim Patrick about your issue? He was quite helpful and flexible with me.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for info

By the way I found Jim Patrick very helpful. He put up with a lot of questions. I haven't talked to him yet about the exhaust because I wanted to know what was available. It looks as if I will have to add some extensions if I go to the oem type bannana muffler. I assume if I go this route I will have to fab a o2 sensor receptor either in the extension or muffler.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Isn't your O2 sensor bung on the header, ie on the collector where the 3 pipes come together? Jim probably has extender pipes already made up; yeah, you'll pay a little more, but you'll get a turnkey solution. Talk to him about your clearance concerns, maybe he can tweak what you have - SS mufflers don't make very good planters .
Old 11-24-2002, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

o2 bung position

The o2 bung is on one of the mufflers where it connects to the header. It is not on the header.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Its in the muffer (WTF ??) Do you have a digital camera.. I gotta see this.

B
Old 11-24-2002, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Brad, I've seen at least one "banana" muffler with an O2 bung/sensor hanging off it. Sounds like a convenience thing. Should get the same gas mixture, just take longer to get up to temp?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I wonder why they are doing this ?? I wonder if they are afraid to shorten the wires for the 02 or cut a whole in the header. I know a lot of people cant tig weld to their stainless headers. This is probably the reason.

Same reason we sell SSI 911 HE's with and without a O2 bung in place (knowing most shops don't have tig welders)

Jesus. I have to get the 914/6 SS HE's done.

B
Old 11-24-2002, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Quote:
Jesus. I have to get the 914/6 SS HE's done.

B
Please

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-24-2002, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Problem is:

How many do you honestly think I can sell ?? The whole idea is to make money and the tooling will run about 20k for the actual clam shells for the HE. Tubing and bending is cheap.

B
Old 11-24-2002, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Buck:

How much clearance are we talking about between the bottom of the mufflers and the ground? (in inches?)

Rich Johnson made the same comment to me about that setup hanging too low.

I had/have been thinking about them for my conversion car. Don't have too many potholes here in Florida. Everything is very flat.

Anybody know if Triad has a website? I have found some links, but get some invalid connections.

Regards,
Old 11-24-2002, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

picture of o2 bung

here you go. I send other pics also.
Buck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler2.jpg (34.9 KB, 309 views)
Old 11-24-2002, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thats fine. They just dont produce the headers so they dont specify whether or not they have a O2 bung in them during production. We mount them about 2 inches forward on the header.

Several local 914 race cars are running the same mufflers. I honestly think you will be fine with those.

(Although I know the Indy rodes) ha ha

B
Old 11-24-2002, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

another pic of mufflers

here is the project so far. Butt welded the flares. Added chassis stiffing kit and Brad maeyers longitudinals. 1988 carrera front suspension.
Buck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 914.jpg (60.3 KB, 334 views)
Old 11-24-2002, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

rear end of muffler

here is the last pic.
Buck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear end.jpg (35.3 KB, 304 views)
Old 11-24-2002, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Cool pics. I'll have somebody to visit when I come in town for the PRI show in Dec. Looks like you have a nice project well on its way.

B
Old 11-24-2002, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Oh my. You bought a car from AA ??

B
Old 11-24-2002, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Old 11-24-2002, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: