Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo for a 914

Is it possible?
What kind? Where to get one?
Old 11-24-2002, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I was actually discussing this with Mike92125 today. The thought turned to a Corvair setup and this seems doable.

James
Old 11-24-2002, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, it's possible. It has been done. Usually the turbos come off of junkyard Chrysler products, though 924 turbos and 944 turbos have also been donors.

It is a non-trivial installation; you had better be at least a decent welder and like tinkering. You'll have to do the complete exhaust yourself, as well as figuring out what kind of fuel system to use. And so on.

If you like a challenge, I am told it is a really nifty thing when done decently.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-24-2002, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dude named Evill Ed has one. Seen him over at shop talk. His car was featured in a magazine article, maybe Excellence? Sounds like a pretty fresh set-up
Old 11-24-2002, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Come on guys, someone has to say it. I waited as long as I could hoping dave would say it, but I guess it's up to me.

You can't turbo a type 4 :-)
Old 11-25-2002, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a customer who keeps hounding me for a Turbo 2270 (which I have built before) and he is willing to absorb the expense and risk of buying an experimental version complete from me.

he is dead set on the project and is going all the way with Autronic EFI and the works.

Looks like I will be building the engine around the august september 2003 time frame, when its done, if successful I will be offering this as a complete package.

Building a Turbo is totally different and keeping one sealed up is another challenge. It can be done, but not cheaply... The engine should make 300BHP easily.

If that one goes well we may try a Turbo 2563, I have a Spyder replicar company screaming for those!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-25-2002, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The magazine article was in "Excellence" - June 2002. Page 125-128. The car is absolutely stunning. The owners name is Ed Villela, from New Jersey. It's a 73' 914-4 with a turbo from a 924. If you can find the issue, check it out. It's amazing!
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Sammyg2 : Never say "you can't" to someone who want's to.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cool

Thanks for the compliments Don.

If anyone is interested, I scanned the Excellence article and posted it to
http://community.webshots.com/user/evill914

Ed
Old 11-26-2002, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Loan Dog
Sammyg2 : Never say "you can't" to someone who want's to.
Toungue in cheek.....he did turbo a 914 a few years back. He got a lot of grief before he proved the nay sayers wrong.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
evill, You're welcome. The compliments are well deserved! From someone who doesn't have the knowledge to build something like that, I was and am completely impressed. Especially by the level of detail in every aspect of the car. Did I also see that you had the car for sale shortly after the story ran?
Don
Old 11-26-2002, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
Come on guys, someone has to say it. ... You can't turbo a type 4 :-)
No, Sammy--you got it wrong. The quote was, "You can't turbo a 914."

And you and Evill Ed (and EJM, and probably Grasshopper Oerdith) are really the only ones who are entitled to say that with the appropriate amount of irony.

Oh, and Ed's car was not for sale shortly after the article ran. It did get an engine replacement, with a turbo'd 2.0... Ed, did you wind up going bigger than 2.0 after the cam went flat?

--DD

Old 11-26-2002, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hey Dave, I have a fresh 2.0L in the 914 now with a 944 K26 turbo. It rocks!! The 2.0L has good low end torque in N/a mode, better than the 1.7L did. From 3 grand up and 10-psi, it flyes.

The car was never for sale, although EVERYTHING is for sale for the right price, LOL..

Ed
Old 11-26-2002, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I used a Weber side draft because it was cheap and easy and it worked. It was also the only thing I really uderstood at the time. Since then I learned about CIS and realized that Ed's way was the only way (at least to me). Next one I do will be very similar to Ed's design, hope he doesn't mind:-)

Ed, I missed the article, is your car intercooled? Mine wasn't and I was limited to between 7 and 9 psi boost. I got it up to 11 a few times, but it really didn't like it.

The best part of installing the turbo for me was realizing the engine will pull all the way to over 6k without falling off even with a stock cam.

I got to get around to doing another one.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Sammy, it's not "the only way". Ask Mueller about the Megasquirt. (Crappy name, nifty concept!) The new versions come with a 2-bar MAP sensor, so you can go to 14+ PSI of boost. All laptop-PC programmable, and it'll cost you about $200 for the complete setup. (You only need the $110 ECU kit, but the other stuff is convenient.)

Manifolds and such have to be dealt with anyway, so it's not much more complicated than the CIS setup. Plus you can reprogram it if you change something, and it doesn't have that restrictive lifting plate.

--DD

Old 11-27-2002, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The megasquirt and other programmable fuel injection systems are great for some people, but not for me. I am very results oriented and believe that simple is good, simple is better.
I can just see myself spending the rest of my waking life tinkering with a programmable system. No thanks.
IMO the CIS system is beautiful in it's symplicity and function.
I figure there's a reason why Porsche used it for so long on the 930 cars.

I could come up with a much better system if I had several million $$$ for r&d, but I don't.
I'm also too lazy to re-invent the wheel.

CIS is simple, it works, it's reliable, and it's cheap! Thats a good combination :-)
Old 11-27-2002, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Sammy wrote:

Quote:
IMO the CIS system is beautiful in it's symplicity and function.I figure there's a reason why Porsche used it for so long on the 930 cars.
Yea, I'd say the reason they stuck with CIS for the turbos so long was that they hardly sold any turbo cars to justify the cost to switching over to EFI at the time.

I'm not knocking CIS, I had it on my Audi Quattro, great and simple system.

I think if you have all of the stock D-jet or L-jet stock parts, using a fuel managment such as the Megasquirt is a better and cheaper choice since the only extra cost items are the TPS and O2 sensor (which can be had second hand)....the stock D or L-jet injectors will work as well as all the other sensors....I switched to a few GM sensors since they are much cheaper (even more plentiful at the autowreckers for people like Sammy, LOL)
Old 11-27-2002, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
IMO the CIS system is beautiful in it's symplicity and function.
I figure there's a reason why Porsche used it for so long on the 930 cars.
Very true about the simplicity of the CIS setup. And it does work pretty darned well. But boy oh boy you should hear Anderson bad-mouthing it specifically in relation to the 930... His opinion is the only reason that they kept using CIS is because the bean-counters wouldn't let the engineers take the time and $$ to develop an EFI for it.

--DD

Old 11-27-2002, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I like systems with few parts and little electronics...My CIS set up on my bus has one wire for the warm up regulator...thats perfect!

Less to break and 27MPG pushing 5,000 pounds down the road, can't beat it!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-27-2002, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Yup, the CIS setup on my SC is 23 years old. In that time (according to the records) it needed absolutely zero maintenance until I bought it. I replaced the injectors (didn't need to but they are cheap, $21) and the injector o-rings. That's it. It starts right up, runs perfectly smooth no matter what the conditions and it passes smog easily. By design it automatically adjusts the fuel/air mixture for boost up to a point. it is also very easy to understand, troubleshoot, and work on if the need arrises.

If D-jet and L-jet systems were as trouble free as the K-jet is, you wouldn't be able to give away dual carbs for these cars. Everyone would still be running the stock FI.

Later more modern fuel injection systems are more efficient and precise. Unfortunately that comes at a price, at least in my eyes.

I really wasn't that impressed with CIS until I studied it. I was very impresssed. If I were an electrical engineer I probably would prefer motronic, but I'm mechanical in nature so I like the CIS.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: