Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
stock 914-6 HEs with a 3.6??

I was planning on running a set of stock 914-6 heat exchangers on my 3.6 conversion. I know I will lose a little in the upper rpm ranges, but I want to keep defrosters. My question is about the flange area gasket surface. If I hold the gasket ring up to the HE flange, it's easy to see how it could leak if even the slightest bit misaligned. I was considering beefing up the flange area with weld and then remachining the flange surface. I believe this would remedy this, but was wondering what everyone else was running???

Also, It looks like I'll have to chop off some of the outer shell and heater hose outlets to make it clear the 3.6 cam covers, etc... Does anyone have experience with making these fit a 3.6?

Thanks!

Brad.......I might be a candidate for your SS HEs if you do them??
Old 11-25-2002, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bump......Hard to believe no one has tried this?
Old 11-30-2002, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think you're going to be pusing it on the flow side of things. If you run headers, you'd be looking at least 1.75" headers or more.

Sorry I can't answer your fitment questions.

You can buy new aftermarket stainless heat exchangers for your car... that would be sweet. They don't look factory, but they'll last forever.

Regards,
Old 11-30-2002, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Will the aftermarket SS HEs fit a 3.6?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

try www.patrickmotorsports.com

I don't think Pelican carries them.

Regards,
Old 12-01-2002, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was out of town.

They will fit and they will work just fine.

I use them on pumped up 3.2's all day.

Unless you race and keep the engine above 6k RPM for 3 miles at a time... the stock HE's will work fine.

They will help in mid range torque (which is where we do 90% of our driving) you will lose about 8-10hp on the top end, but the extra torque getting you to the top end will make it feel like you lost nothing.

You will have to change out the long studs of the 3.6 heads and install short ones.

B
Old 12-04-2002, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yay! Brad's back. We missed you.

Regards,
Old 12-04-2002, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yeah I bet.. ha ha.

Had to go racing for a few days.

B
Old 12-04-2002, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I did a trial fit and the drivers side HE interfered greatly with some of the 3.6s additional goodies (I'll call them goodies 'cause I don't know what the hell they are). The passenger side hit things as well. It looked like I would have to cut off the heat output side of the HE and relocate it. Also, I question the sealing surface at the head without mods to the flange???
Old 12-04-2002, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have a 3.6 on a stand, let me try them on the engine.

Do you have a digital camera ??

I cant imagine what is different about the 3.6 that would make them interfere with the engine. The only place I can think of would be the on the side of the block where the oil is dumped back into the oil tank. This fitting, depending on what you used for this line could hit the passenger side HE, but this holds true for any 6cyl engine and not just the 3.6.

Give me an hour or so. I need to finish some web work before I do a trial fit.

B
Old 12-05-2002, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok.. here is a pic of a 3.6 on one our stands:

Tell me where it is hitting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-005f.jpg (44.7 KB, 265 views)
Old 12-06-2002, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Brad, I believe this is where they hit the most. There were other less severe area of interference. I don't have the motor on a stand right now, so I can't do another trial fit till later. But if memory serves the circled areas were the worst.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.6heprobs.jpg (15.7 KB, 255 views)
Old 12-06-2002, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I know that part. Let me test fit them on Sunday when I'm back up at the shop. I pulled the new ones we have from the rafters today, but didnt get a chance to test fit them.

B
Old 12-06-2002, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Bump........Brad, Did you get a chance to check this out. I just want to make sure I wasn't smokin' crack when I tried them out.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I sat at the house all day Sunday and relaxed in front of the computer. Let me go do this now.

Be back.

B
Old 12-10-2002, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

These pics will be big. Crappy camera..I need mine.

I hate to say it... but you will be modifying them ever so slightly.

B
Old 12-10-2002, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I know that piece hanging down has something to with the timing chain for this side or the gear... I *think* I replace it with something.. I need to pull it out, but I need to leave here pretty quick to head south for the dinner tonight with Wayniel.

B
Old 12-10-2002, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I'm running stock heat exchangers on my 3.2
I tried to replace the exhaust studs with shorter ones but the exhaust studs were just twisting and not coming out. I almost broke one before I gave up and used my dremel tool with a cutting disk and just cut all the exhaust studs down to size. So far so good.

Steve
Old 01-22-2003, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: