Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

switched and running power off ignition wiring harness

Can anybody tell me which color wire off the ignition switch supplies power during switched power and running power. I am still working on my intergration of the motronic unit to the dash board. Patrick motor sports tells me to hook up my starter wire off the motronic harness to a switched power wire that continutes power after turning the key to start. They said to find it from the ignition switch. the steering cable harness hooks onto a female connector just right off the steering column. I am hoping to jump into the harness prior to the female connection. Also how do I splice into that particular wire? What piece do I need to accomplish this splice?
Thanks,
Buck
Old 11-25-2002, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you sure you don't want to connect to the original wiring harness 14 pin female connector (that plugs into the relay board).

You can (probably have) eliminated the relay board and make an adapter to connect to all your engine bay wiring into your motronic.

I don't have any experience with the motronic yet, and haven't gotten to that phase of my project yet (although I will be running carbs)

Here are a few links that might provide some clue as to which wire is for which function...

914-6 with 3.2 DME

engine wire harness help

Wiring for a Six

Sorry I can't be of further help.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Man, there is a really strong part of me that wants to just tell you to ask Patrick. But I think it's mostly due to the IDIOTIC MORONIC BUREAUCRACY that I'm dealing with here at my day-job.... Grrrrrrrrr. ("Bureacrats DO cut red tape. Lengthwise.")

Anyway, the wire you're looking for is black and is attached to pin #15 on the ignition switch. Go to the following page and look for the wiring diagram appropraite for your year:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

You should be able to answer your questions by looking there.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-26-2002, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

For splicing, go to any auto parts store and get what are called "splicers" which allow you to connect two wires without having to remove insulation and solder and wrap, etc. They usually are in sizes to match the wire, I.E. 18 ga, 16 ga, 14 GA, etc and are in packs of six or so. The do not come loose and can be put on with one hand. My race car probably has a hundred or more of them???? Good luck.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Okay... I'll say it Dave. I'm not regulated by any red tape!

Buck,

Patrick Motorsports carries a harness that adapts to your existing 14-pin wiring harness that plugs into your relay board. This will provide all the connections you need for your DME mating to your 914.

I think you're making it harder on yourself then you need to.

Plus it will be a cleaner installation.

Maybe Pelican should manufacture and carry this harness... hint hint!

Regards,
Old 11-26-2002, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Maybe I should make them and offerl them to Pelican Parts for their inventory, cause I'm a nobody living in the middle of the U.S.

Hint hint

Quote:
Originally posted by kellzey
Okay... I'll say it Dave. I'm not regulated by any red tape!

Buck,

Maybe Pelican should manufacture and carry this harness... hint hint!

Regards,
Old 11-26-2002, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
In general, Pelican doesn't manufacture things. When we have, we have been lucky if we broke even. (We usually lose money on it.) That's not saying it's not worth doing, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you....

BTW, I just wanted to clarify that I was talking about my day-job, not my work for Pelican. The "information security" measures that they have implemented are a pretty bad joke, and anoying as hell to try to actually get things done around. And, of course, some committee of bureaucrats who probably have no technical knowledge from the past 2 decades has decreed what all the security measures will be.... Argh.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-26-2002, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: