Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
San Diego - Multi-annual get together and boast roast

Anyone interested in Getting together this weekend (Friday) for a "teen" night?

Possible places: Herb's Joint in Old Town, One of the brew pubs in downtown, Somewhere Coronado maybe, or Pacific Beach.

Let me know your vote!

James

Vote Early - Vote Often!
Old 11-25-2002, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Since I just got finished racing in Phoenix I am taking the wife and just the two of us are going to a nice weekend in LaJolla. No cars, sleeping late and who knows what else!!!!! If I was going I'd vote for Herb's place though!
Old 11-25-2002, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Herbs for sure.
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-25-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest I'll be there

Mostly because I'll be working.

I'd love to see you guys though.

I'll let you cry in your beers for me. I blew my engine up at Time Trial on Sunday.

Call me if you want to come in. I'll set aside a good table (immediate seating in the restroom!) Bring a spare motor in your pocket and I'll give you a coupon for a free appetizer. Such a deal.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Well, I _DO_ have a spare engine.......

James
Old 11-25-2002, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Mockmaw Send a message via AIM to Mockmaw
Oooh.. I think I'll actually be around! No teener to show off though..
Old 11-25-2002, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Well, lets see. The blond is out of action. Herbs is Kaput! Who else has a "dead" 914 story?

James
Old 11-25-2002, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Herb, when I was "still" in SDiego, I had the unfortunate record of blowing an engine three times, in ONE year! It took me a while to learn to 1. Watch my gauges (gages for you ME types), and 2. Learn not to overdrive the car (thinking I could run with the Mistaks of the world with a 4 cylinder). Now that I have a -6 in the thing, it's run for over 4 years at amazingly different venues without a hitch! BTW, we're coming to SDiego the 14th of Dec for a precursory look-around and meet a realtor. Looks like we'll be back on the correct coast in June of next year. Left in October of '95, and return in 2003. . .So, the gist of this ramble is that your problems are nothing an infusion of money can't solve! Oh yeah, if your restaurant serves swimming pool sized margaritas, the boss and I will pay you a visit!
Old 11-26-2002, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Let's see - Hmmmmmmm

Glenn has two that don't run

Ben has one that doesn't & probably will not

Ron has one that should but doesn't

AutoTrader has several

AA has "lots"

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 11-26-2002, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Maybe if we combine a few together we can make a few less running cars.

Wait...we're already doing that....

James
Old 11-26-2002, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

At this time last year we were still picking valve pieces out of the heads on my race car, but this year has been MUCH better! I actually got to do the season finale in Phoenix (win) and can spend the next several months doing little things to get ready for next year. One will be to add even more reenforcement to the rear suspension pickup points than I have now. Herb, I thought that was your daily driver????
Old 11-26-2002, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I can tie Don. Three intake valve seats in one year.... Oh, wait--plus the vicious amount of crank endplay that caused the initial teardown, that's four! Do I win??

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-26-2002, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

Umm, yeah it is (was)

I'm still trying to deconstruct what happened. I never try to keep up with Mistak (not that I could) and gauges were all in the good ranges. The motor will rotate until it binds up against something. Almost makes me think that there is something up at the piston (connecting rod? wrist pin?) All the valves externally are in place, unless one snapped off the shaft and it binds up when the piston runs up against it. All possibilities. Haven't had time to dig in to it. Car is sitting the driveway with its ass in the air waiting for me. For some reason, work still insists that I be there instead of taking care of what really matters.

Don, the Margaritas are awesome. Last time you were on the left coast I was at the Coronado Brig. I now work at the former site of the Old Town Brig. We shut down and remodeled. Re-opened as a very different kind of place, Zocalo Grill. E-mail when you are going to be in town and stop by. Several guys here can attest to what we have to offer.

James, that motor you are talking about is the one with the 1.8 heads and carbs?
Old 11-26-2002, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Herb, if you pull the plugs and stick your head way in there, you can see the valves and that will tell you somewhat what broke? When the heads snapped off the valves, the stem would be bent somewhat and be gouging into the guide so it felt and looked like the valve was okay when we pulled the valve cover? Rods, wrist pins and cranks are pretty strong and the weak point seems to be the head area. Good luck with it.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

you got my vote for Herb's place, Herb if you need any Donation's
let me know?

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 11-26-2002, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Look for aluminum in the intake tracts Pull an injector or the manifolds, it will tell you.

Let's see, it was a pull to 5000 then a muffled bang, then a misfiring engine, then it wouldn't turn, then the tow truck arrived............, - Christmas Eve (Thank you Santa).

Hey, ya got my vote for 1.7 donations - I have 5 or 6 - they're holding down the asphalt so it won't blow away in the Santanas

Last edited by Ron Meier; 11-26-2002 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-26-2002, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Actually, I'm planning on putting that one into the 1973. You may want the 1.7 that is in there right now. I'm going to pull the engine and tranny this weekend....

James
Old 11-26-2002, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Got an engine!

I have an engine for ya Herb! Specilly made for racing by removing excess unneeded metal parts via a broken valve Seriously, sorry for your loss
Mike
I would have attached a pic but they were too large
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-26-2002, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ah here ya go. The horror..
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-26-2002, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

But it's just a small hole and there's three good ones left!

Old 11-26-2002, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: