Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A Man Has Got To Know His Limitations

Can anyone reccomend a place out there that can rebuild my 914 brake calipers?

I'll do a lot of things on my car, but when it comes to brakes, I want someone who really, really knows what their doing.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Old 11-26-2002, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
I may have a suggestion for you. But first, I have a few questions.

What year 914?

Front calipers? Rear calipers? Or both?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's a 73

I have a spare set of rears that I want to get rebuilt and then swap out, when I get the fronts rebuilt.

The teener is almost a daily driver, so I want to keep down time to a minimum.

I'd like to have the rears rebuilt then trade the old rears for rebuilt fronts.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Heery
I may have a suggestion for you. But first, I have a few questions.

What year 914?

Front calipers? Rear calipers? Or both?

Last edited by sacook; 11-26-2002 at 12:01 PM..
Old 11-26-2002, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Can't help you much with the rears, but for the fronts I would recommend that you just buy calipers that have been remanufactured. (fancy word for rebuilt). You can get remanufactured front calipers for around $50 each. This compares favorably to spending around $20 for the rebuild kit and then having to do the work.

Here are two direct URLs to the listing for the front calipers from Pelican Parts Express (WorldPac Parts Distributor). However, Wayne has disabled ordering Porsche parts from the site, so the 'Add to Cart' buttons don't work.

Front-Right caliper

Front-Left caliper

Since Pelican doesn't sell these maybe you could get Wayne to allow your order to get through. If not, I can give you a list of sites that will allow you to order them.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

SHAZAMMMMMMM,

Thanks those are Great prices, I'll give wayne a jingle and see what we can work out.

Thanks much
Old 11-26-2002, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Those are F*ckin GREAT prices. I just spent closer to $100 for each of my fronts. Same reason as you for not rebuilding them myself. I did do the master cylinder though, so I am not a complete weenie Just a partial
Old 11-26-2002, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Give yourself some credit.

One of the very first things I did four years ago on my last teener (and I have no mechanics training) was figure out how to rebuild the rear brake calipers.

It requires simple tools (the most complicated maybe being long nosed pliers to remove the circlip inside the rear brakes that have to do with the emergency brake screw).

At any rate, I took my time, followed the Pelican article, got frustrated at times, but successfully removed, rebuilt, and replaced my brake rotors, brake calipers, and brake pads.

Fortunately this wasn't my daily driver, so if I screwed up, I had time.

I learned a few lessons along the way... One being that I set my brake pad clearance with a feeler gauge and pumped the brakes a few times. I forgot to double-check the brake pad clearance a second time. Unfortunately, the driver's side rear pads had seated themselves firmly against the rotor.... I took off for a test drive with my "new" brakes. I came back to smell something bad (melting brake pad compound) and found my rotor to be literally glowing. Oops!

But give it a shot, it's not that bad.

Or, buy the rebuilts.

Have fun.

Karl Ellzey
Old 11-26-2002, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Speaking of brake parts, someone had asked me about where they could get new retaining pins and spreader springs for their brakes. Well, I came across these this morning.

They are from a company called BECK/ARNLEY and the part number is 084-1167. I'm sure Pelican can source them for you if you ask nicely. If not, drop me a PM.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Pelican carries them.

Regards,
Old 11-27-2002, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in the middle of replacing my rear passenger side caliper. I did the same thing with the adjustment, it was looking good until I applied pressure. Then it got really tight (though I could still move it by hand with a good push) so I have to readjust as well.

After this is all done, I plan on using the old caliper as a rebuild project to figure it out.
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 11-27-2002, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Karl, you're a better man than I. I've been all over the Pelican 914 parts catalog and can't find them. Are they online or do you have to call?
Old 11-27-2002, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: