Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Who wants a Mega squirt?

I have a lot of experience building kits such as these. As far as I can tell you cant just buy the kits. They are only available in batch buys semianually at best. However, there is the blue print, parts list, schematic, and software for free on line. I am interested in building one, and am looking for more info. Also if I end up making one it wouldnt be too hard to make a few extra boards from the template on the site, and assemble some extra units. Of course i am not looking to make profit off of the megasquirt patent, I would only charge for parts, and a little for labor. Mainly it would be in my best interest to print out more than one board at a time. I would also be able to throw together some kits for others to assemble. What do you all think?? Always looking for suggestions
Mike
-74 BMW R90

Last edited by mike95125; 11-28-2002 at 10:03 AM..
Old 11-28-2002, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What the heck is a MegaSquirt?
Old 11-28-2002, 01:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd like a board if you have some made. Please keep me in the loop!
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 11-28-2002, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I wanted to know what a mega squirt was too. I don't think me and google had the same thing in mind though.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo959
Yeah, I wanted to know what a mega squirt was too. I don't think me and google had the same thing in mind though.
Hmmmm....I wonder what the internet had in mind on that search???
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 11-28-2002, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Oh God. I should have kept wondering...
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 11-28-2002, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have three original kits and two extra boards of the latest version.

That's great that you want to do it yourself, that is why they give you all the info, but I just want to add that the boards and parts they sell in group buy are outstanding in quality and packaging. It is a real breeze to assemble. But, you do have to wait for a group buy and for them to package and ship. It takes quite a while because it is so popular.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt/
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

JWest Engineering
Old 11-28-2002, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I've seen kits for sale by users on the yahoo board. I'd check there before embarking on making my own kit.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RD Evans
Thumbs up Count me in!

I am very interested in a Mega Squirt system but I'm hoping for something in addition. For those of us less mechanically experienced, I'm hoping that we can get a group of Mega Squirt projects that detail all of the steps required to get the system up and running on our cars. In additon to to the ECU, I need to know what kind of manifolds, fuel rails, injectors, etc. are needed and how to install them. I would be willing to thoroughly document the process with digital photo's or video and post to a web site dedicated to this project. I have a 74 1.8 with a single Webber so I have a car that is in dire need for improvement. I realize that for many that post here, this type of information is "common" knowledge but for others it is "greek". Thanks for the input.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm more than interested in the systems......we should talk, as I have the opportunity for testing and could help you design them, and could sell the heck out of it!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-28-2002, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Lets see, the quick and dirty about megasquirt.... It is a programable fuel injection control system that you build yourself. It is able to be tweeked with using your computer, it cost around $110 in parts, it uses all GM sensors that are inexpensive, and redily available, and it can be used with a turbo! I am not affiliated with the folks at mega squirt, I am just always in search of a new project, and like to tweek with things for no real reason. Jake, I am not sure how we could legally sell these kits as they have patent, and their lawyers are better than mine. I am first and formost a college student so this project will probably proceed at a snails pace. The main reason for my interest in the system is for a possible FI equipped corvair engine in the future.

I would like to buy one of the spare new boards if I could James

I have had experience with fabricating circut boards in the past, and think that I may still have a lead. My overall intention is too keep my cost down by manufacturing a batch of boards. I am not looking to profit obviously as I am not intitled to such under patent protection.

Ill keep you all in the loop. Truly though it is possible that they will have another batch buy sooner than I am able to get on the board fabrication. It is great to see so much enthusiasm when it comes to this project. I am glad to do what I can to see this idea to fruition.
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-28-2002, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The patent cannot cover every aspect of them....its just like building a class limited race engine, you have to read whats NOT in the rule book instead of what is..LOL

if nothing else I'd give you some incentive to help me figure it all out, as I'm not big on aftermarket EFI..
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-28-2002, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Im down for it
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-28-2002, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Re: Count me in!

Quote:
Originally posted by RD Evans
In additon to to the ECU, I need to know what kind of manifolds, fuel rails, injectors, etc. are needed and how to install them.
The stock EFI stuff works fine. You need to use the MS ECU, their MAP sensor, and a GM-style throttle position sensor. But the manifolds, injectors, temp sensors, vacuum control stuff, and all of that can just use the stock 914 parts. With the programmable system, you can tune the car to work fine with those parts.

There has been discussion recently in the Yahoo Groups MS email list about someone else printing up a run of PCBs. The conclusion is that it isn't worth it. In part because you'd have no tech support from Bowling and Grippo, because it isn't their stuff.

There will be a bunch of kits left over from the group buy. There are even more PCBs with the ECU and MAP sensor. All of those will be made available shortly--sometime in December is the current plan.

Jake, if you do this, just imagine the amount of questions you'll get about it....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-28-2002, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Questions don't have to be answered.......
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-28-2002, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I would like to buy one of the spare new boards if I could James
Sorry if I misled you, I was not offering them. I just did not have a current need so I bought some extra boards for future use (they were only like $12 each).

I have three complete kits and three cars for them to go on. Two boards are built and running - just have to get around to putting them on the cars.

This was my first time soldering a circuit board - I bought a cheap power supply kit to build first and that went fine and gave me 12 volts to play with on the bench. Then I built two of the kits - went great and run on the bench just fine. I fould them to be very easy to build with the documentation available in the files section of the yahoo site.

At this point I am in the same position I would be with any aftermarket FI controller, except I only spent $100. Also, the support is probably as good as most store purchased systems - there are hundreds of people all over the world willing to help on the yahoo site.

The first is going on a Jaguar 6 with L-jet - basically a wiring swap-in. Then I've got a couple of air cooleds that will get it - when I get around to those I will document it - but I can't say how long it will be before I start. Too many toys to play with!

Jake, you could provide the hard parts of the injection system and resell the Megasquirt controller at cost with no support from you given. Once you have a performance tuned EFI intake then any of the aftermarket ECUs could be used - leave that choice to the customer?

JWest Engineering
Old 11-28-2002, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mike,

As far as I know, I was the 1st person running a Megasquirt on a 914 ('75 2.0)

Except for the TPS and air temp sensor, all of the factory 2.0 parts are kept with my install. (a few parts not used of course)

The PCB are going to be the most expensive part of these unless you have a bunch made. I just had 14 PCB's made for a side project of mine and I ended up paying $70 each plus a setup charge of a few hundred bucks. (my board is half the size of the MS board and you pay by the sq inch along with amount of features and layers) I have not been to the Megasquirt site in a while, are the Gerber files available for download to facilitate fabrication of the boards?

I really don't think you can touch the price that one can get while going thru the Megasquirt Group Buy....I've thought about doing the same thing as you, and in fact I've started to price out the components (the MPS is a $27 dollar part when purchased in small lots) I already have a programmer/complier for the chips so that I can burn my own chips. By the time you find all the parts, price them out, another Group Buy will be in progress.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but it's a lot of work, but hey, knock yourself out and go for it if you wish.

(for those that don't want to wait, people are always selling un-built or un--used Megasquirts every couple of weeks it seems)

Jake,

I'm surprised that you are showing interest in this...on the Shoptalkforums I thought you didn't have any real interest in the Megasquirt...I could be wrong, but for the few times it's brought up, you don't seem to say anything good or bad about the Megasquirt....I know you are a fan of the Electromotive units, but those cost 10x what the unbuilt MS sells for (and for good reason, the E. are proven and have tons of support)

James,

For Jake (or anyone) to sell the Megaquirt with NO support would be a very bad move and is exactly what Al and Bruce do not want. If that was to happen, then I could see them closing down the Yahoo site or making it a Private group to where you have to had purchased a kit directly from a Group Buy and not a reseller. The last thing anyone wants to see on the Yahoo group is people saying "i bought a kit from Company X, how do I hook it up, or why is it not working" The Yahoo group does not want to become a "free tech support" for Company X's profit.

I for one, wouldn't tell anyone ***** about hooking up a Megasquirt knowing that Company X is profiting from it, any a-hole can buy the piece parts and jack up the price 2x or more and sell them since not everyone knows of the Megasquirt. Heck, I can see AA or 9Xauto buying these as kits and jacking up the price and reselling them as thier own products with no support at all.

And yes, it is true that i am currently looking into offering a FI system based on the MS, but mine will be for the most part a true bolt on product, ready to run, I do not want to sell unassembled kits but something someone can basicly Plug/n/Play with support and a warranty on parts. My time frame is still a few months away since i am waiting for my new 914 (another 2.0)
Old 11-28-2002, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Wow! You do bring up good points Mike, and thanks. this is definetly all in the idea stage for now. I may just end up group buying, and assembling/testing units for folks who are less electronically inclined. I cant wait to see if I can beat the prices you discovered.
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-28-2002, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

IIRC the megasquirt is MPS based. Does it still suffer from D-jet's limitation WRT longer duration cams and low vacuum at idle?
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 11-29-2002, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Mike - You make good points.

What I really meant was that Jake could build a nice high performance intake system, and sell that.

Then he could basically tell the customer to get their own ECU - Megasquirt being one option with the Yahoo site being the only support - not Jake. That would get the more people (with brains but no money) into custom EFI, while people that want support could buy Autronics or whatever.

I think that this way Megasquirt's toes are not being stepped on, but Jake can offer an affordable EFI.

JWest Engineering
Old 11-29-2002, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: