Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rear bearing failure?

I have about 300 miles on my recently rebuilt rear end which included new heavy duty 5 lug hubs, SKF bearings, rotors, brakes etc. Stub axles are original. I'm in the process of checking all suspension parts and noticed with the rear of car jacked up I can feel a small amount of play when grabbing tires at 12 and 6 o'clock. The amount of play feels equal on both sides and I'm guess a little less than 1/8" at tire diameter.

Is this normal?

I remember another poster experiencing several rear bearing failures which resulted from incorrect amount of threads on rear hub or thinner than normal hub retaining washer.

I did ensure to get 250 ft. lbs. of torque on hub bolts. I did not check for play prior to putting car on road.

Are there any common signs of rear bearing failure? clicking sounds, growling etc. I hear nothing growling or any sign of balls skidding in race when rotating tires by hand.

John
Old 11-28-2002, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Since the Thanksgiving activities around here have slowed down, I decided to pull one rear wheel and verified that there was not a problem with thread engagement. I have at least 1/4" of threads left behind washer as installed on stub axle.

I put it all back together with additional torque (270 ft. lbs.) but still have the same level of play.

Looking at the old bearing that was removed prior to my conversion, I noticed that if the split inner race is compressed, no play exists. Without compressing these inner races, I feel play between inner and outer race.

John (stuffed but worried in Ga.)
Old 11-28-2002, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Drive it. Check it every once in a while; if it doesn't get any worse then don't worry about it. I believe that some play is normal. I know it is in the front, I can assume it is in the rear.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-28-2002, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

"Normal" rear bearing failure is indicated by groaning sounds, mostly when you are turning. IIRC the noisy bearing is the opposite side compared to the direction you're turning.

If you actually had a broken bearing like what happened on my car, you would know it in a hurry. The play in the wheel is a LOT and is enough to "steer" the car. It is sketchy trying to drive with it like that.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 11-28-2002, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the input guys. I feel better now.

John
Old 11-29-2002, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: