Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Compress This

Okay... I have read all the posts about air compressors but I have just a few more questions (yes I did goto the autobody store and read their archives).

1. Does anyone have a preference over Porter Cable (Lowes made by Devilbliss) or Husky (Home Depot made by Cambell Hausfeld)?

2. Is 60 gallons enough or shoudl I spend the extra four bills and get the 80 gallon?

3. Will the 2-stage 80 gallon be quieter than the single stage 60 gallon?

I am looking for some help to rationalize the extra $400 to go 2 stage 80 gallons. They both run off 220volts (60/80). Both brands seem to have the same "OA" electric motors.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
JB
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-29-2002, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What are you going to be doing with it? If you are going to be bead blasting or running something continuously for a long period of time, spend the extra $$$.

Regards,

Karl Ellzey
Old 11-29-2002, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Purely MHO (you did ask).

I have the PC unit with the 80 gallon tank. From one of my web pages:
"7 hp single phase 220v two stage compressor with 80 gallon tank. 175 psi, 16.8 SCFM at 90 psi. The pump will maintain my blast cabinet while building pressure in the tank."

I bought this one after selling the smaller unit I purchased a couple of years earlier for 1/2 what I paid for it. Spend the $$$ up front, and you'll always be happy. Spare the $$$ up front, and you'll spend years wishing you'd bought the bigger unit. I don't believe that the single 60 will be any quieter than the two stage 80 or vice versa.

Ginter's 914 stuff

Last edited by gint; 11-29-2002 at 09:54 AM..
Old 11-29-2002, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I am probably going to set up a chair and look at it mostly. I do want to paint my 914 as well as do the rust repair myself. I have a nice electric grinder but I would like to be able to sand bast when the need arises!!! Other than that, probably sit and look at it while drinking a beer!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I can save you some money then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compressor.jpg (45.1 KB, 841 views)

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-29-2002, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ginter, Nice pic!!! You have got the juices flowing!!! By the way, did you wire up the 220 yourself? I have done 110 but never from the box. Is it hard to do or is it easiers than removing a rear wheel bearing from a 914?
JB
Old 11-29-2002, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mike Ginter

Way easier than a 914 rear wheel bearing. I had a 100 amp sub-panel installed in the garage when I upgraded electrical to 200 amp during my basement finish job. I can wire anything and everything in my garage. Whenever a need arises, I just pop in another breaker, wire it up wire and go. I cut out a 10" high strip of dryawall and installed some 3/4 medium density particle board all around the garage at 3' height so I can pull a cover and install new wire and outlets.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-29-2002, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Just brought the 60 gallon home!!! I think the 80 gallon would have been extreme overkill for anything I will ever do to my 914. I figure that when i can afford a 911 or full blown race car, I will also be able to afford the big Snap-On 120 gallon 4 cylinder compressor. Until then...this will just give me more time to drink beer!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ginter,

Nice compressor and blast cabinet. I also like that propane tank next to it!

Be careful.

Mike
Old 11-29-2002, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Wish Me Luck

The material:

The Workshop:

My goal: To create an air distribution system worth as much as my whole house!!!

Wish me luck... I have never before sweated copper or wired 220. But then again...I had never converted to carbs before either. Hopefully I will not burn the house down!!!
JB
Old 11-30-2002, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Mike:
Compressor wasn't even wired when that picture was taken (2+ years ago).

JB:
You'll do fine. Sweatin pipe and pulling cable is easy. Probably have it wired and plumbed before the weekend's over. Make sure you install the appropriate size breaker AND wire for the compressor circuit. RTF manual to get the current draw for the unit. Have fun.

Ginter's 914 stuff

Last edited by gint; 11-30-2002 at 07:08 PM..
Old 11-30-2002, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ginter
Way easier than a 914 rear wheel bearing. I had a 100 amp sub-panel installed in the garage when I upgraded electrical to 200 amp during my basement finish job. I can wire anything and everything in my garage. Whenever a need arises, I just pop in another breaker, wire it up wire and go. I cut out a 10" high strip of dryawall and installed some 3/4 medium density particle board all around the garage at 3' height so I can pull a cover and install new wire and outlets.
Are you making sure that you are balancing the load across the two 110 busses? You want to try to achieve equal load or you're just wasting electricity.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

First Air Drop Is In!!! Been working a lot last two weeks so today was my first chance to spend a whole day on this. Almost as much fun as working on the 914!!!
First Drop...

Compressor...

Distribution...

Overall So Far...

Running 220 power was interesting to say the least!!! Sweating copper was definitely a new experience... I can't wait till next weekend to put in the other two drops!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shopair3.jpg (31.7 KB, 508 views)
Old 12-15-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wow! Looks really sharp. Good thinking on the drains for the condensation.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Puny Bird

You should see my unit, WW 2 surplus, 5hp (I think) 220v, 160 gallon lay down tank! Total huge MF'er that could power a small town.
I put it in the loft of my shop as I built it, if it dies or I move, it stays there.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Questions/ suggestions

JB (or anyone else willing to help out a novice),

How does one "sweat" pipes? What's that mean anyway?

I want to do something similar, simpler, in my airbrush studio and in the garage with hopes of a full sized compressor someday. For now, I'm just running a pretty long hose and a series of water seperators/ pressure control. The last time I tries to work with copper I couldn't get the elbows connected. I used a ton oh heat and solder, but it still fell apart in a short time. What did I do wrong? What can I do better?

Did you need to thread the pipes to attach to a quick connect or it there an adapter available?

Any help on this and whatever I'm missing would ge great,
TIA
Old 12-17-2002, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
"To sweat", in this context, means "to solder together".

One thing you didn't mention, which might explain your lack of success in that endeavor--lots of flux. This gets the metal clean so the solder adheres properly. You put flux on both pieces you are joining, then put them together, then (I think) more flux on the joint area, then heat the area with a torch. When it is "hot enough", you touch your flux-less solder to the joint, and it near-instantly melts and wicks itself into the joint.

A lot like soldering electrical circuits, for that matter...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-17-2002, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Quote:
Originally posted by DSPTurtle
I've gotta save this picture. I remember my wife ranting that I was nuts when I put a window air conditioner in the garage. Er...well maybe we are both insane.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Dave is right but he forgot one thing.

Sand the inside and outside of the pipe joint where it goes together. At the hardware store this sandpaper (waterproof) is almost always right beside the flux.
BTW you have to do this plastic pipe also, here it's part of the building code.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Actually that window a/c unit is too darn small!!! Yeah, my wife thinks I am insane too!!! Lots of sanding of the parts to be soldered is the key... lots of flux goes without saying!!! Everything has to be clean, clean, clean! It is really a pain in the butt... but PVC is too dangerous. There is one company up north that makes something called HPVC, it is blue and is made to use with compressed air... it can simply be glued together.
JB
Old 12-17-2002, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: