Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Speaker size??

For all you audiophiles outhere. What size speakers fit well in the stock footwell speaker locations? The victom is my 74 1.8.

Thanks
Sasquatch
Old 11-30-2002, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

4" x 6" is the size. I think some companies like Pioneer make 4" x 6" that have all the various mounting holes built in.

I added these to my '75 1.8L in high school (back in 1986). I also mutilated my door panels and put 6.5" speakers in the doors.

Sounded nice.

Hey, speaking of... I just removed my speaker grills and discovered 4" x 6" Boston Accoustic speakers installed by the PO.

BONUS!

Regards,
Old 11-30-2002, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
You can also use 5 1/4" round speakers. They will just fit, but will compress your heater hose a bit. I have these in mine, more is better but in these cars you just can't fit much.

-Chris
Old 11-30-2002, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just removed my speakers from the grill, and they are made in Taiwan (not that there is anything wrong w/ Taiwan).
6x9's really fit? I have seen some nice ones...

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 11-30-2002, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What I did in my car was reinforce the speaker panel with fiberglass, and then installed 5 1/4 components in them. I used Infinity Kappas, and it sounded nice. 6 by 9s won't fit, and anyway, most of those coaxial speakers (woofer and tweeter in one) don't sound very good.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Oopps! I meant 4x6's.

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-01-2002, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I installed Clarion 5X7" component plates (they're in the crutchfield catalog). I had to cut off all unused mounting material from the plates and they fit. I then filled the back of the stock enclosures with poly-fill when I installed them and it sounds pretty damn good. I have had 4x6 plates in 2 previous 914s and they were OK, but the 5x7s are definately better and you keep the stock appearance. I also created a sub-woofer that fits where the factory center tray/pad goes. I used a powered bazooka tube and took the amp and driver out of the tube and built a box for them that fits perfectly in place of the tray. I upholstered the sub to match my interior and added a 1/2" of padding on the top. It looks factory and it put's my arm at the perfect height for shifting and pumps some bass.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2002, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I must see a photo of your center consol subwoofer. This may work for me and I can easily pull it out and return the car to stock for car shows.

Sasquatch
Old 12-02-2002, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
That's why I put my sub where I did, I can turn it back to stock in less than 10 minutes and no one can tell. I will try to post pics for you.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "deeper" 4x6es won't fit very well; at least not without crushing the heater hose. There is some specific depth that you have, but I don't remember the number offhand.

...A PO of my car hacked the door panels (and the door structure!! UGH!) for 6x9s. So I left 'em in.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-02-2002, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
I have 5 1/4" Eclipse speakers installed in the holes cut by the PO and they thump pretty well. I'd definitely recommend this installation to anyone, although I'd be hesitant to cut my own car. It just sound so good. I almost don't need a subwoofer, but I'm gonna add one to round out the low end bass. I had some cheap Alpine 4" speakers installed in the factory location, but they were making negative sound waves and cancelling the bass out. The stock location is very poor for bass. I also made some mini-boxes for a spare set of 4" speakers over the Thanksgiving break and put them behind the seats. I'll take some pics tonight to add to my site. The 4" behind the seats suck and I have some Eclipses on order. But I'll make new boxes for those which are bigger for more bass.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Chief914:

Are these the Clarion units you installed? Doesn't look like much mounting material can be removed.

Regards,
Old 12-02-2002, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, They're the ones. Mine were all black(older model). I had to trim away all the excess material including the cardboard stand-off material. I then used a rigid foam tape (availabel at your local hardware store) to act as the stand-off. It may sound radical but it works great. I think it only took me about an hour to do both speakers. I have to admit I was nervous taking a pair of aviation snips to my newly purchased speakers, but it was worth it. To mount the speakers to the enclosure, I used flat washers and the factory screws to hold the speaker plate to the enclosure. In other words, you no longer have holes to put the screws through. I saw a factory set of blaupunkt speakers mounted in this manner and it works perfect. The boxes maintain their stock appearance and I believe you get the largest speaker possible in the factory enclosure. If you do this, don't forget to put the poly-fill behind the boxes. The back of the factory box is quite open in several places and the poly-fill really helps.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wink

A nice pair of sonus faber guarneri's w/VTL 185w mono blocks and a cat preamp should do the trick - ooops wrong application
Old 12-02-2002, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

5x7 will fit if you remove the stock grills and mount the 5x7 on the outside of the factory housing. Fits real nice and looks good too.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The factory speaker locations are in fact the best place possible.
At the foot area, the speakers are as close to the same distance away from your ears as possible. This gives the best stereo "imaging" because the speakers are about equal distance from your ears. If they were up closer to the dash, you would just have a loud sound in your face. Always use component sets if you can!! They usually come with crossovers to direct only a certain range of the audio spectrum to certain speakers. The area inside the center console is a good place for a subwoofer. A subwoofer doesn't need to be aimed--bass is omnidirectional--(that's why it sounds like nothing but bass coming from the hoopty when the homies drive by! )

Last edited by hargray2; 12-26-2003 at 05:25 PM..
Old 12-02-2002, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Here's some pics of sub-woofer and the 5x7's in the factory enclosure. Oh man....I gotta clean my doors! Never noticed till I took pics!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I have the Boston Accoustic speakers in the stock location. I like em. I searched for a long time to find a good set that would fit without hacking the car. I must have listened to a dozen sets of speakers before finding the B A's. I really need to boost the power them though.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Chief 914,

Nice work with the speakers. (I would also be afraid to cut up those 5x7's at $150 a pair!) What size Bazooka did you start with for your armrest speaker?

Also, what sort of seatbelts are you using? My 76 belts have fixed latch receivers at the center tunnel that the retractable belts plug into. Yours seem have a short belt on the tunnel side. Is that an earlier version or a custom set?

Mike
Old 12-04-2002, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Mike, I have a '71 914 and the seat belts are an early stock version. They do not retract and are annoying in some respects, but kinda cool in an eclectic way.

I actually did not use a "bazooka" brand tube to start with. Sorry, I just said bazooka 'cause I knew everyone would know what I meant. I used a powered tube from Collins. It was basically the same as a bazooka though and I'm quite sure a bazooka would work fine. I had the Collins tube in my Jeep wrangler and sacrificed it to the 914 gods. I installed the amplifier section at the back of the box and the controls/cables fit neatly into the void under the back pad. The back of the box is angled from top to bottom(lonerg at bottom). I built it so that the tesion from the back pad pushes the box into the little cross member between the seats and this holds it in place, so no mounting hardware required. It really does sound great, even with the top off you can still hear/feel bass. I built the sub pictured as an experiment and plan on making a new better upholstered box in the future, but for now it looks pretty good and sounds great. An added bonus is the arm positioning for shifting.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: