Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Porsche Crest Fuel Tank ?

Well good morning gentelmen.

I've been working on the tank for several days now with the Por 15 kit. So far it looks like is going to have to be replaced because of the rust is so severe.

I haven't given up all hope yet, but

Is there a source for replacements? Price?

Also is the strainer available and the expansion tank and outlet gaskets?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-01-2002, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Question number 2,

anyone either running an off the shelf ATL fuel cell, or have them custom make one for your 914?

(they offer a "911")
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-01-2002, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Dunno about the gasket or strainer. IIWM, I would take the tank to a radiator shop and have it boiled or out in an Ultrasonic tank. That will get rid of anything you don't want and will tell you for sure if the tank is worth screwing with any further.

I have a cheap late tank if you want to go that way.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-01-2002, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In that case, you might wanna check Patrick Motorsports
They sell / adapt the standard 914 tank with an ATL (of Fuel Save, not sure which one) bladder and filler.
Cool stuff, not cheap though (nor is any ATL / FuelSave tank)

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 12-01-2002, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeroen
In that case, you might wanna check Patrick Motorsports
They sell / adapt the standard 914 tank with an ATL (of Fuel Save, not sure which one) bladder and filler.
Cool stuff, not cheap though (nor is any ATL / FuelSave tank)

VERY cool, and definately an option if the others fail, I'm going to call some rad shops Monday, and see what happens.

I'm betting that's a better/cheaper option than trying to replace it with a new stock tank. Although the price is GULP

still wondering about the strainer?

Last edited by DuckRyder; 12-01-2002 at 07:05 AM..
Old 12-01-2002, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the strainer sock is available as are the gaskets for the filler.
Im sure pelican can aquire them for you. I had a radiator shop in PA clean my tank. They used some type of red rubbery liquid to coat the tank. Forms its own bladder that will never rust. I would go that route as opposed to the por kit. If you need more info on that, I can get u the guys number and you can talk to him.
cost $75 to have the tank cleaned and sealed. They are called east coast radiator in conchohocken PA.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Robert,

I performed the Por 15 tank sealer drill several months back. My tank was not leaking to start with but the chemicals used with the Por 15 kit did remove scale/rust and opened up some holes on bottom of tank. At this point I felt like I was pissin up a rope with about (8) 1/8" size holes in bottom of my tank. But I went ahead with the procedure just to see what happened.........and because I was halfway there and in about $50. As found in the archives, some guys recommended placing duct tape over the holes and then continuing with the por 15 treatment. This worked great and I've had no leaks to date.

My sock was toast as well and I could not locate a replacement. I elected to omit the sock but added a extra filter to fuel system........one in front of and one behind fuel pump.

John
Old 12-01-2002, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I just finished sealing mine, and it worked out fairly well. One problem I had was not getting a good coating on the cylinder thing inside (above the supply/return holes). I havent figured out what to do yet, but I will keep everyone informed.

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-01-2002, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by korijo
I just finished sealing mine, and it worked out fairly well. One problem I had was not getting a good coating on the cylinder thing inside (above the supply/return holes). I havent figured out what to do yet, but I will keep everyone informed.
Not married are you? My fiance is very understanding, but she would kill me for that. She took the house smelling like old gas pretty well though.

I'm going to see if I can get a radiator shop to clean it. I'm not sure if I should then continue with the Por 15 or just let them coat it.

I also have a couple of offers for used tanks (wonder how that would ship)
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-01-2002, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I am married! I am the boss, (not really) Notice the feminine user name. Thats her!!

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-01-2002, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Congrats.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-01-2002, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: