Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 front conversion

Hello all

I am converting the front of my 914 to 5bolt via a front end from a 1971 T. In the pictures that the guy sent the top of the strut has only a single threaded post, rather than the thing that the 3 allen bolts go into. So, I have a couple of questions....

1. how do I get from point A (single threaded post) to point B (the thingy that 3 allen bolts thread into.

2. I just bought a set of 16x6 Fuchs for the front, anyone know of any issues with a 71 911 front end vs. 16x6?

last. Am I going to see a braking improvement?

I would like that.

As always, thanks again.

I am finally building my dream 914. I can't tell you how good this feels.

cya
Old 12-01-2002, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Leave your camber/castor adjustment plates in the car (the *thingys* you refer to with the 3 Allen head bolts). The strut (actually the shaft from the shock absorber) fits up int the cambe plate with a couple of big washers and thick rubber grommets. See exploded drawing on Pelican Tech Tips if you are lost at this point. It's there somewhere. Here's a pic of the *thingy.*
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_914_strut_removal/pic1.JPG

Last edited by Zeke; 12-01-2002 at 05:15 PM..
Old 12-01-2002, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

To answer your questions (to the best of my humble ability )

(1) You get from point A to point B by removing your old front strut. The BIG NUT in the middle of the triangle formed by those three allen nuts holds the strut to the suspension mount -- it bolts to the strut itself (the single threaded post). Just undo it and the top of the strut should fall right out. Now, the part that's attached to the A-arm, that's another story!

(2) I can't imagine that there'd be any problems!

(C) ...too much "Car Talk" there... I think the brakes on a 71 T are the "M" caliper... check to see it you have 3.5" or 3" spacing between the caliper bolts. 3" spacing means a smaller caliper and not much of a gain in braking (if any... aren't 914 brakes "M" calipers?).

16x6 wheels will look great... what size tire are you going with? 205/50?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I guess the biggest question to ask is are the brakes that these struts can accomodate going to be big enough for your car?
Is your car going to stick with the four cyl or go bigger to a flat 6 or v8 or whatever.

Yes the brakes on the 71 t are M calipers (3inch spacing)and do not give much better braking if any, but the rotors are vented unlike the 914/4

The strut fits in the camber plate as previously described and is a pretty much straight forward changover.

The fuchs should fit but I also have a set of 16x6 fuchs (no tires) and I can send a pic with them attached to the strut in the next couple of days.

The reason I am selling the setup is because I am going to require bigger brakes than I can get with those struts and will not be needing them.

here is a pretty complete description of the changeover

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_five_lug_conversion/914_five_lug_conversion.htm

Kelly
Old 12-01-2002, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The 16x6 Fuchs will fit nicely in the front with 205 x55 x16 tires.

FWIW, a buddy of mine sells big brake kits for 911 struts with 3 inch spacing.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
FWIW, a buddy of mine sells big brake kits for 911 struts with 3 inch spacing.
Please tell us more!
Old 12-02-2002, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

echocanyons,

I will get more details... The parts are new stuff similar to Big Reds, but much cheaper. Kit includes big calipers and big rotors.

Last edited by Jim Smolka; 12-02-2002 at 09:30 AM..
Old 12-02-2002, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I just converted my car to 5 lug and used 3" M calipers and 911 Boge struts. My original (with exception of 19mm M/C and T installed) brakes worked great in a street driven V8 car and I was really only after the 5 lug to use 911 Fuchs without going the drilled rotor 914 route.

The 19mm M/C + T is a improvment over stock brakes in a stock car and the "M" caliper addition was a marked improvement over what I started with.

You may find questions answered on the post "rear suspension upgrades".

Took my boss out for a test drive today and we did a 0-100-0 run.........I could have swore he had his seat belt on. He's still picking 30 year old console pieces from his teeth : ) On a serious note, always insure passenger has on seat belt before giving a Porsche brake demonstration..........I almost lost a windshield today.

John
Old 12-02-2002, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Smolka
echocanyons,

I will get more details... The parts are new stuff similar to Big Reds, but much cheaper. Kit includes big calipers and big rotors.
Any details?

Thanks!

Sprint.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
we're all dying to know Jim!
Old 09-18-2003, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by John2kx
He's still picking 30 year old console pieces from his teeth : ) On a serious note, always insure passenger has on seat belt before giving a Porsche brake demonstration..........I almost lost a windshield today.

John
Very descriptive, I like it. I am doing the same conversion on my car with the exception of the brakes. I am going with the Big Volvo brakes. They fit on the vented rotors and are huge compared to the 914 or the 911 M. Same 3" spacing.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-18-2003, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Ok,

For those who want to know, big brakes are available for the M spacing calipers. The brakes are four pistons calipers with vented rotors.

Here is the link:

http://www.boxermotorsports.com/productviewer.asp?ProdID=108
Old 09-18-2003, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Smolka
Ok,

For those who want to know, big brakes are available for the M spacing calipers. The brakes are four pistons calipers with vented rotors.

Here is the link:

http://www.boxermotorsports.com/productviewer.asp?ProdID=108
I wonder when will they come up with the rears... I want to get both at the same time. I think balance is compromised when you get only the fronts first?

Sprint.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Might be. I have bigger "A" calipers and stock rears and tested yesterday and my front wheels lock first. I have an adjustable biasing valve and should check the setting though - canna remember...

Dave
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 09-18-2003, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DDS
Might be. I have bigger "A" calipers and stock rears and tested yesterday and my front wheels lock first. I have an adjustable biasing valve and should check the setting though - canna remember...

Dave
I have a thought... Maybe when installing kits like the Boxster caliper setup, we should install front Boxster on our fronts and rears on our rears. We should install front Boxster calipers all round and use a bias valve to adjust.

Coz if the smaller Boxster rear calipers are on our rears, there isn't much to adjust considering that the weight distribution of the Boxster is different from the 911.

Why do I think so? Coz I've installed 944 brakes on my Super Beetle and the brakes coming from a FR car won't be rightly biased for a RR car. The rears don't bite enough. Of coz I'd be crazy to add a bias valve to reduce the front as the idea is to bring up the rear to match the fronts rather than tune down the front to match the rear...

Err... am I confusing anyone? Gosh... I feel lost myself!

Have a nice weekend ahead!

Sprint.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I am sure they have a brake available for the rear of a 914.

I also know they have a dual MC set available for a 914 or 911

Last edited by Jim Smolka; 09-19-2003 at 01:23 PM..
Old 09-19-2003, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: