Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 Aero Mirror

Hi All,

Has anyone put 911 Aero mirrors on their 914? Here is a pic of one on Dave Shepard's from GPR. Specifically how would one mount the mirror over the stock 914 mounting holes. I assume some customization is needed, but would like to know the real story before procuring the mirrors. I am thinking manual mirrors.

best Mark
Old 12-01-2002, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I plan to use those on my car. I'd say they require new holes.
I am not sure whether the original holes need to be filled.
The aero mirrors may cover the old holes.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Since you have a picture of the mirrors on the car, I'll assume you have access to the 911. I would make a small pattern (from card stock - like cereal box) of the body profile where the mirror mounts to the 911. Then compare this profile to your 914. Should be similar. With the rubber foot under the mirror, there is some allowance for slight deviations in the profile.

If the mounting holes don't line up - you know they won't - you'll need to remove the backing plate behind the current holes, and construct a new backing plate. This is the most involved part of the conversion. The sheet metal is not strong enough to support mirrors alone (IMHO). To get the shape of the inner door contour where the new mirrors will mount, get some clay and mold it on the inside of door panel along the curved area. You can then use this to shape a metal mounting plate. Thickness of the plate depends on whether you'll thread the plate or use thru holes.

You'll also have to fill the previous holes (with metal preferably), then redrill for new mounting holes with plate.

Keep us posted on how they work out.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: