Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smile looking for machine shop...press studs

does anyone know a company that can take my 4lug and turn them into 5lug....drill and press studs...i live in the bay area...but will ship...i'm looking for a company that you have used and had this done...any help will be great...thank you again...johnc
Old 12-01-2002, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just had mine re-drilled to 4x100, they also do 5 lug. I dont think he'll press them in, rather drill, tap, and weld in place.
His name is Franklin at The Werks. 206.592.0540

HTH

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-01-2002, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

K. Isn't it called Franklins VW Workshop?
ANother place up your way iis NW Connecting Rod. 206-783-2487.
Rear lid is being blasted and primer paint sometime this week.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
Old 12-01-2002, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Fat Performance has been doing them for a long time, even for some people that you might have thought did it themselves. I think he has them in stock for outright purchase, or on an exchange. If you don't know who they are, a search here will turn up a link, pronto.

BTW, are you gonna race the car, or is it for street and maybe a little autocross now and then? I ask because you will want longer studs for a race car. To have the lengths match from front to rear, you have to use the next longer size in the 911 front hubs because of the thicker hub flange.

Last edited by Zeke; 12-01-2002 at 08:23 PM..
Old 12-01-2002, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

His name is Franklin at The Werks. 206.592.0540

[/B][/QUOTE]
A guy who came to the restaurant I work at mentioned The Werks, but I never found the place. Now I know he was talking about Franklin. This guy's name was Bear, and he rode a Harley, and did paint jobs.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bear is the guy that does all the towing for Franklin. It actually called Franklins VW Werks.

Check it out: Franklin's VW Werks

69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914

Last edited by korijo; 12-01-2002 at 09:20 PM..
Old 12-01-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not right in the head

Send a message via Yahoo to nutzforporsche
korijo,

The bolt pattern you went to is, does that give you a better selection of wheel manufacturers to choose from? I know little of bolt patterns "other than GM" and types of cars that they fit. I would live to be able to go to one of the local places and be able pick something that would look great and fit.

Could you also give me a ballpark cost on what it cost you to get yours done?

Thanks!
Steve
Old 12-02-2002, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Rich Johnson does the drill-and-studding thing. Very well, from all the examples I've seen. Rich's Email.

The 4x100 pattern is used by most Hondas (Civics, Acura Integras, etc.), along with most of the water-cooled VWs, many Mazda products (like the Miata), etc. Lots of wheels available in that bolt pattern. Some might even have a good offset for a 914...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-02-2002, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Steve Check out www.franklinsvwwerks.com when you see the Ravenna green car for sale click on that and check a couple of pics out. This is the car that I saw a BOW WOW, the guy used to work there. He went to Les Scwhab tire up the street and had those wheels and tires added after having the hub drilled. Nice car, $10000 not.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
Old 12-02-2002, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

FAT doesn't do it either, or at least they didn't a few years ago. I think they farm the work out to RIMCO. I live a few miles from them (FAT) and went to see how much they charge. It was what I considered crazy expensive at the time, so I told them never mind.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

thanks for all the info....i have dropped some email to all of them...i will let you guys know the outcome....thanks again....john c.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
FAT doesn't do it either, or at least they didn't a few years ago. I think they farm the work out to RIMCO. I live a few miles from them (FAT) and went to see how much they charge. It was what I considered crazy expensive at the time, so I told them never mind.
It is confusing to say the least. I originally ordered them through a guy who used to get them from Troutman. Troutman fell way behind because it was said that he was moving out of state. So, in a pinch, the original guy said he would get them from FAT. He knows RIMCO just like you and I, so I figured FAT made them or he would have gone to RIMCO. That assumption may indeed have been wrong.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Steve,
The entire job, front and rear cost 150. I have work done all the time from Franklin. Hes a cool guy.

4x100 wheels are common on Hondas, VW's, etc. Les Schwab out here carries many 4x100. The main concerns are offset and hub bore.

69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-02-2002, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

German Parts and Restoration sells the hubs predrilled on an exchange basis.

http://www.********.com/

If you buy the studs from them they will press them in for you if you ask.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The GPR deal is $325 for new rotors, bearings, and studs drilled and pressed in.

They will drill only for $35/ea

fyi
Old 12-02-2002, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Porsche Crest GRP deal

With this GRP deal, Is this all you need for a 5 lug set up, If you only want it for street applications? I'd like to add some Fuchs just for the looks, no racing or anything.
Or do I have to replace a bunch of other stuff too?
Old 12-03-2002, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Well, in a nut shell, yes. When you change the stub axles, you need to install new bearings, you ought to go ahead and install new rotors rather than drilling an old 4-lug rotor and I guess the hubs would be fairly usless w/o studs. I don't think you were going to use your old lug bolts, were you?
Old 12-03-2002, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Porsche Crest 4 lug to 5 lug

If the lugs were pressed or welded in already, wouldnt I just need lug bolts? He said the GRP kit came with rotors and bearings.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Normally with a 5 lug conversion the stock lug bolts are no longer needed. Instead, new lug studs are pressed into the hubs or rotors, and then you use lug NUTS to hold the wheel on. Others have done it differently, but that's how I see it done. I really don't feel comfortable drilling and threading the hubs, especially if they are not early hubs.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

keep in mind that is just for the rears, it would be 2x that for all around.

It is mo betta to use an old 911 front end to do the fronts. You get a little better braking and no hassles from having to have all the drilling and studding done again every time you wear out your front rotors, which happens much more requently than wearing out the rears.

2cent
Old 12-04-2002, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: