Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone ever make new door panels

Has anyone ever tried to make new door panels.

It looks like it could be done with some high density fiberboard or ABS or high density foam board.

However, I notice that the factory panels curve towards the top.

Just wondering if anybody out there has tried and been successfull.

Good night,
Old 12-01-2002, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They curve? I thought the backing was flat and the covering took care of the 3D part. Must be that FLA humidity.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Zeke,

Well my "Arizona" car has a curvature molded into the board where the clips are. This allows it to be more flush with the window weather stripping.

Take yours off and look along the top edge.

Regards,
Old 12-01-2002, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ah, therein lies the problem. I threw mine away a year ago. I don't know what material would conform to a small bend at the top, but you might do a hybrid of lightweight paneling with an aluminum strip attached at the top for the curve and the clips
Old 12-01-2002, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I made some really nice veneer ones for my junker a couple of years ago. The top of the pannels is a metal fitting that he wood hangs on via a series of teeth. If I would have had them covered it would have been unnoticeable, but I was poor, and prefered the wood panneled look
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 12-02-2002, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had some made from our local hot rod interior shop. They came out very nice. He built the pannel using a fiber type board he said he got from Home Depot. He also reused the top of my old pannel that has the curved section, re-attaching it with rivets. Also recovered and reused arm rests.
Good Luck!
66 912 in pieces
Old 12-02-2002, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I made my own. Cut off the factory curved top from the hammered old ones and riveted to a new fiberboard lower section. I recovered with some vw basketweave vinyl that was a pretty close match. I cut the originals at the lower edge of the curved section and retained all the factory metal mounting tabs. The job came out pretty good, not concours but good for a driver.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: