Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

brake line replacement

Has any replaced the steel brake lines. How difficult is it. I can get steel brake lines from my FLAPS but Iíll have to make all the bends, is that a hard ting to do. Also how is the line connected to the MC. I figured flared end with a compression fitting, when I took off or should I say broke the line it seems that the line is attached to a small fitting that screws into a lager fitting. Its my first time working with brakes other than replacing pads and fluid.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
ruddyboys,

If I understand you correctly, you're talking about replacing the metal brake lines that run from the Master Cyl - correct?

The fitting-in-a-fitting you described is likely the front socket that divides the two front sides (left & right). The left front side comes directly out to the left metal line with compressed fitting, while the right front side comes up out of the socket that is threaded to accept the right metal line with compressed fitting.

I'm not sure if it would be easire to make these lines or just buy them. I didn't see them in PP catalog, so you might give them a call. I'm sure they've come across this before.

Regards,
Old 12-02-2002, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You talkin' aboutr the lines that go from the master cylinder to the brake lines? If so, it is quite easy. I jack up the front of the car and rest it on jack stands. Undo the 4 bolts that hold the belly pan on, and remove the pan. The lines are hard as hell to get off with out breaking, so i just broke all mine off. The bends can be done by hand, or pliers (be careful if you use pliers). I didnt replace the lines that go through the center tunnel, but I suspect that they are just longer versions of the short ones. Not sure if you want to use lock tite, but my connections between the feed lines and the brake lines leaked, so make sure they are nice and tight. I bought the brake lines from Pelican, and got the feed lines from my local FLAPS for like $3 each.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A small tubing bender is probably a better way to go if you make your own. (Making your own is a lot cheaper, BTW.) Much less risk of collapsing the tube than if you bend it by hand or with pliers. And last I checked the tubing benders were cheap.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-03-2002, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

How do you get that funky flare? I have a faring tool but it doesnt make that kind of mushroom flare.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Metric brake line comes with the flare and the fittings already installed. You just bend to fit. With a tubing bender. Buy the better bender, it will still be cheaper than Porsche OEM

Take a coat hanger to "trace" the shape under the car.

James
Old 12-03-2002, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: