Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
F'd up my wipers

OK, bonehead play, I know. I needed to wash my teener and my landlord downstairs had just shut off the hose ( I discovered this
AFTER soaping down the car ) for winter so I had to improvise. I disconnected the shower head in my upstairs loft with a balcony and dropped a couple of buckets of water on the car from 20' above. The extremely overwhelming flow of water down the cowl
(apparently)caused a smoking short in my wiper motor and blown fuse. When I replace the fuse, smoke emanates from the cowl and the fuse blows. I just pulled it and left it out for safety reasons. This fuse also runs the heater blower so now I've got no heat ( I'm in MN ). Anyone seen this before? What would be a good procedure for fixing this and preventing harness fire?

Last edited by guards73/2.0; 12-02-2002 at 11:35 AM..
Old 12-02-2002, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well, you may have melted some wire insulation and now have a short, so a thorough inspection is in order. I would start by unplugging the harness from the motor and testing that circuit. If the circuit is open with the wiper switch off, it's the wiper motor, which may dry out. To test,w/o out fear of melting more wires, disconnect the battery and use your OHM meter or a continuity tester.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: