Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Dealerhorrorstories

OK... by request, here's the thread of dealerhorrorstories (gotta say it fast!)
Here's an update of my post Work Ethics;
Upon going back to the shop with the van vibrating better than one of those beds you put a quater in, I confronted the service mgr. telling him of the tech that couldn't find a vibration so he just put it on the rack & did a shake down. After replacing 1 ball joint, the brakes and wheel bearings he gets in the van and tests it. He then writes "the repairs fixed the problem". He didn't know of a problem! How could he fix it?
So, anyway I takes it back and says, "ya know... it really feels like a U joint to me". Well... guess what, The service mgr. goes out & checks it & sure enough, it was a U joint. Out of the goodness of his heart he says "NO CHARGE" our mistake.
Well no *****sky.
This is a major shop but the 20 yr old kid now has to put his stamp on the work order saying that he went for a ride with the customer and absolutely knows what the prob is. And this was supposed to appease me? There's more but I gotta fix dinner.
have fun...... and vent, vent, vent
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-02-2002, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Dealerships hire and train "Technicians"

Repair shops hire and train "Mechanics"

The difference: "Technicians" replace parts until the problem seems to go away.
"Mechanics" find the problem and replace the bad part.
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 12-02-2002, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My brother used to be a ASE Ford certified technician. He found so much BS happening that he eventually quit. He says that 5 out of 10 people that paid for a transmission rebuild got a flushed out tranny that was washed with parts washer. There's only a difference of about $2500 between the two services.He also said that the vehicles he worked on the most were the Focus models.Complete transmission failure with an avg of 1000 miles on the whole car. Used to do about 10 a week. He has told me that there are no good dealerships at all. They all rip people off or they dont make money. If you ***** enough you can get a 1990 lexus warrantied at a ford dealership.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

there are good and bad people who work at dealerships. not everyone is a parts swapping monkey.

this is not really dealer horror stories, just some recent funny stories from my brother at the benz dealership.

1) woman brings her car in complaining that her tires squeal, but only in parking garages.

2) guy brings in his car because it is leaking a strange fluid which always has a spot in the center of it (oil leak with coolant fluid dripping in center).

3) woman brings in her car because the outside mirrors won't dim (she doesn't even have that option, hence no controls for it).

4) brother gets a home service call to change a flat tire in an owners driveway. the woman says she has a different spare she wants to use, not the one in the trunk. she goes off and gets a tire from the garage that is not on a wheel.

and the best one...

5) guy brings in his benz because it is low on power. my brother checks it all out and takes it for a test drive. he cannot find any problems on this new car. has the service manager contact the guy for more info on the problem. the guy says it's low on power because he drove his friends lexus and it was faster!
Old 12-02-2002, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wink

those are pretty damn funny Derek!!
Old 12-02-2002, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Good ones Derek. I like those kind better'n horror stories.. LOL
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-02-2002, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Work in an independant porsche only shop...

Idiot comes in with his newer 996 - engine stalled, heat discoloration of engine components, oil smells "funny".

Idiot decided that the engine needs a good desludge after a mere 5000 miles, so he mixes his oil to a ratio of 25% oil and 75% ATF... then drives the car.

Nice clean, siezed engine...

As a side note, I agree with the Technician vs Mechanic description.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information

Last edited by AFJuvat; 12-03-2002 at 02:42 AM..
Old 12-03-2002, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

AUDI's SUCK

I am intending to write to Car Talk, Audi Corperate, the Audi Dealer, Audi world, Bently publishers, and any one else who likes Audi's. Until then, I'll keep it short.

My '92 100 quatro began leaking tranny fluid. I traced the problem to an unknown upper area of the tranny to what looked like a plug. It was obstructed by the exhaust. Not wanting to deal with it myself, I took it to the dealer.

They had the balls to tell me that if they were to fix it, it would cost $14,000.

What! $14,000 for an oil leak. Yes, Bently doesnt say that the plug is servivable, so they can't touch it. Replace tranny, $9000, two Cats at $1000 ea, incedentals $3000, =$14000

I got it home and fixed it in 5 hours, including 2 broken exhaust studs, and welding the older exhaust system.

F$ck you Audi, and everything that you stand for! (let me tell you how I really feel)
Old 12-03-2002, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ahhh... Obviously inspected by dealer trained "technicians" . Please see the cashier sir.
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 12-03-2002, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Bander, that has to be a dubious world record of some sort.

Here's one of mine

#1 86 Toyota Cressida bought in 1987 with 30k on it. When we got it, the transmission had what I thought was a slight slip when shifting gears. I went to a local TX Toyota Dealer to get an estimate

Dealer- "it will be $2500 to replace with a salvaged transmission"
Me- "Then I'll drive this one till it gives out"
Dealer- "but you'll damage the transmission"
Me- "if you're going to replace it anyway, whats the difference"
Dealer- no response

Car and Trans just past 252K with no change in behavior

I will say this though, i've been happy when I have taken my 914's in for services at local indepent porsche shops, they've been fair and done good work and I feel like I got my money's worth, not an attempted ripoff.

PD
Old 12-03-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The other day the Ford dealer was trying to sell me some new tires. When I told him I could get Michelin tires at the local warehouse club for half of their price his response was, "You know those aren't really Michelin's. They are inferior tires that they put the Michelin name on."
Old 12-03-2002, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Work in an independant porsche only shop...

Idiot comes in with his newer 996 - engine stalled, heat discoloration of engine components, oil smells "funny".

Idiot decided that the engine needs a good desludge after a mere 5000 miles, so he mixes his oil to a ratio of 25% oil and 75% ATF... then drives the car.

Nice clean, siezed engine...

As a side note, I agree with the Technician vs Mechanic description.

AFJuvat
AF, I read the whole story over on 911 BBS. For the rest of you who haven't read it, Stupid People
It's worth it.

Last edited by Zeke; 12-03-2002 at 07:32 AM..
Old 12-03-2002, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I was in a Toyota dealership last week getting a bedliner installed in my new pick-em-up truck. As I waited near the service counter I overheard a conversation between an irate customer and the service manager.

Seems the major complaint was that the customer had recently bought a new land cruiser or something like that and was complaining that in the afternoon when he was driving east he had trouble reading the GPS/navigation screen.

The service manager indicated that it was the sun glaring off the screen that was causing the problem. The customer agreed and insisted that the screen be replaced with something that isn't affected by the sun :-)
Old 12-03-2002, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Sammy,
Isn't buying a new pickemuptruck grounds for losing CSOBOSC status?

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-03-2002, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Bander, Audi is an over priced VW and none of them (VWs) are worth 1/2 what they cost. I own two (96 Passat TDI and 95 GTi-VR6) and WILL NOT own another. The passat has so many irritating problems that cost way too much to repair amd the GTI is on it's third engine and is rusting worse than my 914.

My story: A newly purchased GTI VR6 goes in for service. The owner states wind noise from the drivers door area. Tech drives the car but can't find any problem. Customer comes in the next week, same story. On the 4th complaint, the service manager drives the car and he can't find any unusual sound. The customer service manager (me) talks with the customer trying to get a good review for when VOA calls this kid and agrees to go fro a ride so he can demonstrate the problem. This moron passes people on both sides weaving in and out of lanes to get up to speed. At 100mph, I ask how fast he's tryng to go. He says he only hears the sound at speeds over 140mph (chipped, no speed govener and now no warrenty). I tell him to shut it down and to not bother the dealer again with his lame issues. I also tel him if I get one bad report from VOA on his car, I'll have him arrested for wreckless driving. He totaled the car a few weeks later. Mommy and Daddy bought him a new one which was also totalled with in a few months.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

i want to join the f audi bandwagen, but the s6r. oh baby.

audi/porsche dealer.
i had a 92 100cs for a few months.
1st dealer experence.. 8 hours to replace a key switch.
2nd $600 tune up. ran worse when i picked it up. they cut two plug wires ( $60/wire )
3rd oil leak. same as previous post. $1500. leaked worse when they finnished.
4th. towed in . backfiring/bad air valve. would not tell me what was wrong with the car over the phone. when i picked the car up it had TWO flat tires and a hole in the back seat from battery acid.

i drove 2 miles and traded. went back to mb.

m-b dealer
the only screw up at the m-b dealer was overfilling the oil. 4matics hold 1 quart less. new cats ect

aa
bought a "new" 914. the air filter was full of sand. engine lasted 200 miles. took a over a year to get a tittle.
i got so pissed about another car, i mailed them the tittle.

ford dealer.
lets just say that ford 'bought back' the truck. i paid them $400, they gave me a new truck.

back to harpers porsche audi.

called parts for a 911 battery and the a hole would not even tell me where i could get one locally.

i try to do most everything myself ,but i have a guy that used to work at harpers. he comes to my house ,picks up the car(s) charges 35/hour. ( half the dealer rate ). heaven.

there are two good mechanics out of 10-11 at the m-b dealer. i work around their schedule.
01 f250 psd dirty the mule
60 correct craft starflite cool
69 correct craft torino hauls butt
72 correct craft ski nautique fun
66 vw 1500s will finish someday
Old 12-03-2002, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I'm gonna have to stand up for VW here. I've owned a 98 GTI VR6, and a 2K2 New Beetle Turbo S, and have had no major issues with either of them.

VW and Audi continue to develop great automotive technology, like:

DSG

Golf R32 - coming to the US next summer?

The Touraeg, looking suspiciously like a certain other German manufacturers truck:

Worlds most economical car

Cool stuff, and not just marketing hype.

In the past I have really hated VWs service - slow parts delivery, typically untrained and kind of rude techs, etc. But in the past year or so I've noticed an improvement, along with the corporate offices' push to get dealers up to speed before they start selling these much more expensive models (Toureg and Phaeton).
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 12-03-2002, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

A few years ago I had a 92 Chev pickup...loaded son, camper & hooked the boat to the back and headed out to the wilds of Northwestern Ontario for two weeks of camping and fishing. About 11 that night I get a flat and while pulling the spare out I notice the spare is wet. Flashlight shows it red fluid, so I check the trans..down 1 qt..check the trans and the leak is coming from the front of the trans area. So drove 15 min more to local campground. In the morning went and bought a couple quarts of fluid, topped up and headed for the first GM dealer (next town). They say they can look at it but need camper off & boat gone. This is Thursday. Drop camper & boat at buddys place. Back to dealer. Call them at 4:30 (close at 5:00), they say it just went out for a test drive to see what's wrong. I say it's leaking from the front (converter or front seal, I figure). Go over there at 4:55, trans guy says it's front seal and will have to pull trans. Come back next day at noon, go into shop area and ask trans guy what's up. He says he'd have it back together allready if the shop forman would leave him alone to work on it. Come back at 4:30 and trans guy is test driving it. He pulls in and says everything is ok. I go to pay....bill shows 9hrs @ $90.00 labour and $150.00 for parts.....total just under $1000.....I question the hrs spent on it, shop manager says "that's what the book calls for, R & R and test drive". I pay the bill. Write a letter to owner of dealership, no answer. ....A couple yrs later I'm looking for a new truck, buddy at work says he knows the owner of the same dealership, I tell him to call. He does, says he's got just the truck I'm looking for. Price is ok, I tell him he has to knock $500 off and we have a deal ($40,000 truck) he says why? So I tell him, ...silence....I hang up.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

book hrs is the way dealers make money. my brother loves to replace AC condensers on some model benz because it pays something like 8-10hrs book, and he can do them in less than 2hr.
dealers are a total ripoff everyway you look at it, labor, parts price, used car trade-ins, etc. hate them.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I can't say anything about Porsche dealers, I've never set foot in a Porsche dealership in my life. I've owned 4 porsches and logged over 80,000 miles in them, but have never even gone to the dealer to look at the cars.
do they have a cover charge? :-)
Old 12-03-2002, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: