Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
sportomatic trans.

can anyone tell me about the sportomatic trans? will it work with a 4 cly. eng.? would a tiptronic trans work? I have not heard of any in use in a 914. is there enough preformance with a 4 cly eng.? i know that all you racers are laughing but when you are 70 you start getting lazy.

Bernie
2002 Land Rover Disco
2002 Astro Van
32' motor home
Old 12-03-2002, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They actually made a few 914 sportomatics (key word being few - would be willing to bet less than 10). AA has one for sale - I can't remember if it is a 4 or a 6.

Essentially a sportomatic is a clutchless manual transmission. Performance isn't bad, but maintenance on them can be quirky. You should, in theory, be able to bolt one up and modify the shift linkage accordingly.

Could probably pick the parts up cheap - many sportomatics were removed from 911's and replaced by manuals.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-03-2002, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The best estimate that I've heard is that 25 914-6es were built with sportomatic transmissions. There were probably also one or two prototypes with Sixes and sportos. I have heard that there were also one or two prototype four-cylinder cars with Sportos, but they were never sold through the dealerships.

It would be very difficult to install one in a four-cylinder 914. There are a whole lot of issues you need to work out. Some of them have known solutions, like using a 911 Sporto pedal cluster. Some do not--like figuring out a way to run the oil pump for the Sporto.

There was never a full-automatic transmission offered with the 914. Newer Triptronic transmissions need extensive modification to run "backwards" from the way that they do in the 911. Plus they are quite heavy and large. I have not heard of anyone who has done this.

The most promising option that I have heard of so far seems to be trying to adapt a slushbox from an early FWD Audi product. (Early meaning before the tranny was computer-controlled.) It already spins the correct direction and roughly the right dimensions.

I have heard of one or two people doing complete drivetrain swaps with auto gearboxes. (A V8 with a Toronado auto box is one.) But it is quite rare, and I haven't heard of an auto box with the stock engine.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-03-2002, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sure, it will work with a 4.

1. Change the muffler setup because the trans will extend past the stock one. (sixes sit up further than fours)

2. Omit the clutch pedal.

3. Get a sporto shifter (it bolts right in)

4. Get a type 2 sporto torqe converter mounting plate. grind all the rivets off.
5. Do the same to the 911 mounting plate
6. Rerivit the inner and outer plate so the splines are correct for the type 4 engine and the outer plate can mount to the 911 sporto torque converter.

7. Have a source for the NLA clutch for rebuilds.

yada yada yada...

Been there...dumped that project

The 4 will notice a big lag. In the rain it may be unusable. For cooling the sporto has the entire clutch area exposed. When it rains the water has plenty of room to get in there and cause the slipage all the sporto owner complain about.

Let me know if you need more info.

Regards,
Rich Hilgersom
Old 12-03-2002, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
sportomatic

Thanks for your input. There was one on the 911 forum that made me think that it would be simple. How wrong I was.

Bernie
2002 Land Rover Disco
2002 Astro Van
32' motor home
Old 12-03-2002, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: