Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation Rear Trunk Torsion Springs Look Dangerous

I'd like to install metal rollers on the rear trunk torsion springs but pulling those bars back looks dangerous. Tech Tips 700 describes (somewhat unclearly) a procedure involving a 10mm wrench and a Crafsman cheaterbar with a "c" shaped notch at the end. But I don't really understand what Tech Tips is talking about. I don't want to have to buy weird or exotic tools to do this (I think as was mentioned in a previous thread).

Little help please.

Douglas
Old 12-03-2002, 12:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Lots of ways to skin this particular cat.

You can get a bar and grind a notch near the end. Use the notch to capture the torsion rod, use the bar to push the rod down.

You can make the "Ricky-Do torsion spring tool" as detailed in the Tech Articles section of this site.

You can use a box-end wrench or two on the end of the rod.

You can use a deep socket, about 1/4" size, with a long extension. Put the socket over the end of the rod and use the extension to push the whole shebang down.

Whatever you do, I suggest wearing heavy gloves. May save your fingers if you slip.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-03-2002, 01:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They are dangerous. In addition to gloves, I suggest good eye protection. I've done two without incident, but I was plenty careful and nervous about it. I made my own tool for the job.

I know of a couple people who sell pneumatic strut kits for 914s that replace the springs, might be worth looking into. At one time Pelican offered the kits also, not sure if they still do.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I went through this recently, and came up with a beautifully simple solution that doesn't require you to modify or fab anything. I used a 12" long Craftsman 3/8" drive socket extension. The 3/8" drive hole in the end of the extension fits the end of the spring very nicely. You can use this to lever the spring down while removing the pulleys without any difficulty. Just make sure that you press the extension down onto the spring tightly so it doesn't slip out while you're doing it. I submitted this to Pelican as a tech tip, but it hasn't made it onto the site, I guess.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

What (else) is involved if you want to completely remove the torsion springs/bars?
2000 Audi S4 6-speed | daily driver
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 12-03-2002, 08:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I remove the torsion rods to install the original CAMP 914 rear trunk shox kit. I do it with gloves and eye protection on and a large, long(the longer the better) flat tip screwdriver or pry bar. First thing is to remove the white cups in the rear firewall area so that you can access the 10mm nuts that secure the torsion rods. This is a good time to put a broom handle or something to support the rear trunk lid because we are going to be taking the tension off, that means it could drop down rapidly.I use a heavy movers cloth is best. Put the blanket at the area where the roller is located, what can happen if you don't is that the roller could fly off. What I do next is not for the faint of heart. Blanket is in place, take the long large screwdriver a pry the roller off of the rod on the trunk hinge by prying on the torsion rod itself. I know this sounds crazy, but I have done 12 this way and have not had any accidents or injuries as of yet, but I am also careful and I wear proper gear, and I am always nervous when I approach this phase of tension rod removal 101. It is noisy but over very quick.
I then remove the 10mm nuts and remove the tension rods, be careful, do not touch the rods on to the battery, good idea is to remvcoe the battery if in the stock location completely. One more thing the early cars72 and down have as loop that is welded in place and makes it more difficult to remove the rods once the tension hasd been released, the strap needs to be cut and the rods slipped out and then taken out of the engine compartment.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
Old 12-03-2002, 08:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

What bob174 said.........takes about 1 min per side to remove and replace. Oh and the gloves and glasses thing? By all means.................cuz if sumthin lets go while your there..........

"Don't close your eyes before the crash....you'll miss the best part!"
Old 12-04-2002, 12:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The one time that I completely removed the torsion rods from the car, I did it by cutting them. That relieves the tension on them very nicely. Then it's a simple matter to remove the brackets and throw the whole mess away.

It was made easier by the fact that there was no drivetrain installed in the car. Oh, and of course we were cutting the thing up (see "Sawzall party") at the time.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-04-2002, 08:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I would only add a trusting younger brother to the process..."ok dude.... when I push down you slip this on that part right there...quickly "

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 12-04-2002, 12:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks to Dave, Bob, and Boxter

Thanks so much to Dave, Bob, and Boxter. I installed the brass rollers without hurting myself. I used a variation on Dave and Bob's ideas to use sockets and/or extension bars to push the spring down. It turns out that a 5/16 socket (I knew those standard sockets were good for something) slips on to the end of the torsion bar perfectly. The snug fit makes it hard for the torsion bar to slip out. Then I attached that handle fitting that looks like a screwdriver, except that instead of there being a flathead or philips on the end, there is a 1/4 inch drive. So you attach that to the socket and you have a very nice and snug prybar. I had to remove the oil tank filler tube (came off without tools) to get to the left side spring. Pack the rollers with grease and slip them on. Damn, my trunk rides smooth!

Thanks again PP Tech Forum.

Douglas
Old 12-15-2002, 03:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
O.K. moving the springs in order to slip on some new trunk rollers is not such a big deal...
But what do I have to do in order to tension the spring from its neutral position back to the roller???
I read the Tech Article but...
...the "Ricky-Do torsion spring tool" is nice but I do not have the tools in order do fabricat one of those.
The jack handle idea sounds cheaper but I do not understand how I could attach the jack pipe while turning the torsion spring about 150 degrees... on my car I have a a bunch of sheetmetal in my way.
I have a backup plan which includes welding a hex nut on the torsion spring to allow the utilization of normal handtools...
... but that would not be pretty!
Who has a good idea to put that torsion bar back into place???
Old 05-29-2003, 01:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I made a tool for leveraging the torsion bar into place out of 1/2" square tubing. Get a piece about 18" long and cut off about an inch. Weld the short piece on the end perpendicular to the long piece. Slip the short piece over the end of the bar on the opposite its hinge and use it to rotate it into position, then tighten the clamp down (have the other side already clamped down. It helps to have someone hold it in place while another tightens the clamps. I did this with everything out of the engine compartment and no engine cover so maybe normally something would be in the way. But the tubing let you get good leverage at right angles to the bar.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to 914 GT I did it!!! The critical hint was "on the opposite its hinge and use it to rotate it into position" ... It never crossed my mind to mess with that side. Cool! Thanks again!
Oh... and it works with all esential parts installed in the engine bay.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yoh!!!
Great news. Glad no smashed/broken fingers or scraped knuckles. I think the only thing worse than the 914 trunk is adjusting those old-style garage door springs. For those I would always pray 'Holy ***** I hope this works!
Old 06-02-2003, 11:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks to all for contributing. When I bought my 72' 914 it did not have springs for the rear trunk. I bought the torsion springs and brass rollers. I used the box wrench with a crescent wrench method mentioned here. It was a very difficult task until I had a friend help me. I used the box wrench and crescent wrench while he used a screw driver to work around obstacles and guide the spring onto the roller. Once he helped me it went quickly. Now the torsion springs are in the one side of my trunk is out of alignment and sticking up high. Anyone have any advice on trunk alignment. Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germag View Post
Thanks to all for contributing. When I bought my 72' 914 it did not have springs for the rear trunk. I bought the torsion springs and brass rollers. I used the box wrench with a crescent wrench method mentioned here. It was a very difficult task until I had a friend help me. I used the box wrench and crescent wrench while he used a screw driver to work around obstacles and guide the spring onto the roller. Once he helped me it went quickly. Now the torsion springs are in the one side of my trunk is out of alignment and sticking up high. Anyone have any advice on trunk alignment. Thanks again everyone!
If it's sitting high on one edge it is probable the hinge mount has torn away from the body. Only fix is to obtain a replacement hinge mount and weld it in (or try to weld yours back in place).

Torsion bars put great stress on the hinge mounts which is why a lot of teener owners ditch the torsion bars in favor of the gas shock setup.
1973 Chalon with 2.4T MFI (Schlitzalom)
All my 4 cylinders are gone
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks Ron. The hinge mount is torn from the body. I ordered a new mount from Pelican.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Wingnut86

Wink

Dave D.,

This is so simple

Leverage your inside connections here at The Bird, and get Plymouth57 from TheWorld a free Porsche tour for hos college internship

Duh. Now, creatively convince him to build those nice tube rear-ends and flip up backend at a nice price point "Distributed by your 914 friends at PParts".

Then, you archive the string above in the "Ancient Fix" file, as 85% of the teener world will be standing in line with money from the Cash-for-Titles, Cash-from-Credit-Cards, 401k cash-outs, kids piggy banks and selling their wive's and partner's Priuses. All just to have their own Ease-of-Maintenance Type 47...

Sorry for the Hijack, but if you don't know what I refer to then Dave can supply the build link for all to drool over...

Good luck - wear chain male...

Dave B.

..."...what we've got here, is Failure to Communicate..."
Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Lightbulb Trunk Lid Torsion Bar - Success!!!

After fighting with the trunk torsion bars for a day I read the forum and used a couple ideas. You will still need a trusted friend, I used my wife. This project started because I discovered a broken trunk hinge mount when my trunk lid started to get higher on the right side. I removed the torsion bar that applies pressure to the right hinge roller. It wasn't pretty, just unscrewed the nuts and let it go twang with no idea how I was going to put it together later. I drilled out the spot welds and removed the old hinge mount. I fabricated a gorgeous new hinge mount and welded it in place. I later learned when reading the forums that Pelican sells a replacement mount D'oh.

OK so here is how I did it.
- I had already removed the battery and trunk lid from the hinges to make this process manageable.
- I clamped and screwed the torsion bar in it's normal location just like it was when I removed it but only on the right side closest to the currently absent right hinge.
- I was able to press with just enough hand pressure on the torsion bar in the roller and reattach the right hinge first to the lower attach point then to the new mount freshly welded to the side.
- Now I was starring at the remainder on the torsion bar pointing straight down on the left side and no idea how to put it back into it's home. Thanks to the Pelican forums I managed to figure out a solution that worked for me.
- Remove the left drip cup. Put a long 5/16 socket and ratchet slipped over the end of the torsion bar. I took 1/2" tube with thick walls and ground a notch to press on the torsion bar. Here comes the dangerous part. Wear gloves, goggles, mouth piece and a cup, you can't be too careful.
- With my left hand on the socket and ratchet I twisted the torsion bar up in a clockwise direction while simultaneously pressing down on the tube I had ground a notch in on the torsion bar through the drip cup hole.
- By using this method I was able place ( with relative safety and control ) the torsion bar into it's correct position and hold it there while my trusting assistant and loving wife gingerly placed and fastened the plate and retaining nuts over the bar.

Whew!

- Knock the deep socket off the end of the torsion bar and done.

Easy peasy, bada bing, bada boom, bob's your uncle.

I hope this helps someone before they start to use fourteen letter German swear words.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: