Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Haunted 914

I have decided that my 914 is haunted. There is a ghost lurking in my vehicle that loves to play electrical tricks on me.

Last nite, engine would barely run. The coil was intermittantly firing and engine was not happy at all. The ghost was having a blast however! Tonite, went out to start the car and, you guessed it, the engine ran like a scalded cat and purred like a kitten at idle. I didn't touch a thing in between these episodes. I might be having a problem with my Pertronix Ignitor. Haven't put points back in yet, to check, due to the cold weather.

Perhaps my ghost will leave me alone for a while.

Anyone know of an exorcist?

Pritchard
'74 2056cc w/ FI
Old 12-03-2002, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That damn 914 Poltergeist!

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 12-03-2002, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Tonyakavw Send a message via AIM to Tonyakavw
I think all 914s are haunted by the ghost of Murphy... That annoying guy with his awful 'law.'

-Tony Long
-----------------
73 914 AKA VW - also with supernatural probelms
Old 12-03-2002, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Don't forget those awful Ground Gremlins
Old 12-03-2002, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I was gonna mention that. Maybe if you clean you fuse rack's prongs and check your ground connections, you can drive your ghrusts and ghrosions away.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I wouldn't be surprised if the pertronix module was bad; I'm on my third or fourth one now. I think they're just super low quality... but easier than points.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Ditch the Pertronix

I've been through 2 of them with symptoms like yours. Get a Compufire for about the same price and send at least one of the ghosts packing!

Pertronix = Crap (IMHO)
Old 12-04-2002, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
"Compufire" ?!?!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-04-2002, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ghost and Gobblins will have to wait

We are in the midst of our first winter storm of the winter. There is about 1.5 inches of snow/sleet on the driveway right now and it is 22 degrees. So the ghosts can play all they want!

I have cleaned all the fuse contacts and ground contacts, checked for wiring problems, etc. and have found none. I could be missing something however. I plan on removing all the FI wiring when it warms up and have a closer look.

I have not had problems with the Pertronix before (due to quality). In a way, I hope that this is the problem. Pretty easy to replace. Anybody got a Compufire they want to loan me?

Thanks for the replies.

Pritchard
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Tee-hee

Not that I really expected any different, but a source of constant conversation in the 911 forums (when I was active there) was dealing with electrical gremlins and cleaning ground connections. The same conversation continues steady in the Type2.com VW Bus list I participate in now. And why should the 914 be any different? Besides, the 914 is essentially a different sheetmetal box surrounding the same heart as my VW bus!
Old 12-06-2002, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I've never had problems with pertronix, the problem usually is the person installing it(done wrong) allthough you always have the defective part ratio in anything new or used. also there are precautions with pertronix the main one is that you shouldn't leave ignition in the on position for long periods of time it could short the unit out! of course while engine is off

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"

Last edited by Kenny Powell; 12-06-2002 at 07:07 AM..
Old 12-06-2002, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: