Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
Itsssss Back - "Return of the Suicide Blonde"

You thought you were safe on the hiways and roads in San Diego! You thought it was dead! You thought it would never Grace the freeways again under it's own power!

"It's BAAAAACK!"

James

Old 12-03-2002, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cool! Wasn't it a rear suspention console problem?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Yep! Just got the call from the welder - It's done.

If'n I had a way to get there, I'd get it tonight. Tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM will do.

James

Old 12-03-2002, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

James,

Was yours the broken control arm, mounting ear, or both? I can't recall the exact details. If it's the ear, I'd love to see some pictures of the work. Future refernce you know.

Mike

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-04-2002, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
The rear suspension "ear" was splitting, the welds failed. It wasn't rust through. The driver side was also beginning to go.

I purchased a rear sus[ension console for $200 through Pelican and it was direct shipped here. Thanks Fed-ex for sending it to Palm Springs first! Still working on a shipping refund.

(When it absolutely positively must be delivered to the wrong address, overnight!)

I found through several suggestions, a guy in town who does this sort of welding. He cut out the old one, welded in the new one and reinforced some spots, including the other "ear" under the car for $350.

Total cost for the repair $550. I saved $50 on the shipping since Fed-ex screwed up.

He did notice another "issue" while under there, so I'll be back to reduce the "flexing" of the car.

James
Old 12-04-2002, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I'd really like to see some pics of the reinforcement work (I'm probably not alone) if it's not a hassle.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-04-2002, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
I'll take some pictures, but it will probably be next week before I get a chance. I dusted off the snowboard and will be taking a run up to Mammoth this weekend.

James
Old 12-04-2002, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Did they have to drop your engine? Mine is cracked so high that the engine is being dropped to gain access. I'm considering moving the battery up front also to make it easier to keep an eye on that area of the car. I darn near ripped the ear off this time.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Glad to hear it!

Now if you could only get rid of that awful noise in the driver's seat....
Old 12-04-2002, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'll have you know I just had my "personal" exhaust system "tuned"

Sounds like a six.....

James

I can even hit the high notes now!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I am curious as to who did the replacement and how they got the new parts aligned for the welding? Since you seen to be happy with the results I figured you could let us know?
Old 12-04-2002, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: