Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
914 injector wires question

Hi, I'm new here and some help would be greatly appreciated. My #2 injector wire on my 2.0 isn't getting a signal. I want to re-do the wiring on it and see if it's the wire that is at fault or if it's my ecu. There are two wires that go to the injector. One is has a number 5 on it and the other has a 27. The #5 goes to the ecu. My question is, where does the #27 wire go to? Is it a ground? does it go back to the ecu? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Danee
Old 12-05-2002, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
The injectors have one wire to the ECU and one wire to ground (you can see the cluster of grounds on the top of the back of the engine). Pull your ECU and test pin 5 at the ECU wiring harness plug, and check the other injector pin to ground.

The ground cluster is often in poor condition and is the cause of such problems. Clean with contact cleaner and inspect each ground wire for damage and corrosion. Jeff Bowlsby, who posts to this forum, will recondition your wiring harness for a very reasonable fee.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Wire 27 in the FI harness should have continuity to ground at all times, when the harness is installed.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
thanks Brad. I just came back in from checking to see with a voltage meter if i'm getting power from the ecu, but i'm not. Is my ecu the problem here? I heard it's usually not the ecu that does this. A guy at a vw parts store said from what he knows, if the ecu was at fault, none of the injectors would be getting power. What else can I do other then buy a new ecu? Or is that my only choice?
Old 12-05-2002, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Trigger points in the distributor switch the beginning pulse to the injectors, check them for function.

Are your other fuel injectors receiving a pulse?
Old 12-05-2002, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Like Jeff says, injectors are fired in groups of 2 on 4-cyl implementations of D-Jetronic. If you aren't getting injection pulses from ONE injector, then you should check the other injector in the group (1 & 3, and 2 & 4 are the groups). It is extremely likely that if only one injector in the group isn't working, that it's a wiring problem in the harness or the injector is faulty. If both injectors aren't working, it's extremely likely that it's the trigger contact points, very likely that one of the two points are always open.

Yes, it's possible the ECU is faulty, but that can be determined by process of elimination.

When you say "not getting power from the ECU", how are you determining this? Do you mean you're not getting injection pulses to a single injector? How are you measuring this? A DMM is a poor way to do this, as the injector pulse at idle is only 3 ms with a low duty cycle, most DMM's won't even see this on a DC range at all. You can use a "noid" light for Bosch systems, about $7 from AutoZone, plug it into the injector harness plug, it flashes at each pulse.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Step one, follow all of the good advise given previously. (of course)

Step two, chech for continuity from your gnd wire to the FI plug by using your meter and testing to the case from the plug.
Monkey with this check for a while, by playing with the cluster of grounds like Brad said to see if your resistance values change.

Step three, get noid light (props to Brad again)and check signal from ECU wire to engine case, or other suitable ground (dont use the gnd wire that you are trying to exclude). If you get signal then most likely ECU is good.

As stated, if your trigger points are Kaput (German for no good) then there should be another FI not getting juice.

Hope this helps, and doesnt just take up cyber space
-74 BMW R90
Old 12-05-2002, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the help guys!!! I figured it out and it's working perfect . I just DEQ'd and registered my baby. Now it's time to start throwing my money at it.

Danee
Old 12-08-2002, 01:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
So, tell us - what was it that was wrong?
Old 12-08-2002, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
My ECU was the problem. I had another ECU in my big collection of parts, pluged it in, and surprise, it runs like a clock. Thanks again guys.

Danee
Old 12-08-2002, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Bad ECU, it does happen (ask DD!). Glad you fixed it!
Old 12-08-2002, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Was that Daves problem all along?? The way it sounded he was going through hell trying to figure out why the car wouldn't work for him.
I gotta start collecting parts so I can "plug n' play" too!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-08-2002, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Allert

I gotta start collecting parts so I can "plug n' play" too!
bruce
Yea, a collection is always nice. This is my story. I bought my '76 back in may. It ran really nice. I drove it down from Seattle to Portland and was doing about 80 the whole way down. I drove it daily for about a month or so and the differential in the tranny went out. So I went around to a few mechanics and asked how much they'd rebuild the tranny for. The cheapest I found was $2000. So I talked to my father and as he was driving the next day, he saw a 914 sitting in some guys driveway with a 'for sale' sign on it. He told me where the car was, I went the next day, nobody was home, so I got the number off the 'for sale' sign. He wanted $700 for it. A '75 1.8 with awesome interior, good tranny, motor needed a rebuild (still have it) and it had dual 40 IDF's. So, I went, checked it out, and bought it. When I went tow it to my place, the guy showed me a 1.7 fuel injected motor that he had sitting in his garage and asked if I wanted it. So I took that too. Now I have one spare car and two motors. So I got started on replacing my tranny. I replaced it and put the car all back together. After about a month, my father found another 914 in some guys driveway. A '76 2.0 FI with the apperance package. This one was sitting there for quite some time. Everything but the paint looked like new. This baby only had 84k original miles. So we went and talked to the guy. The guy was in an accident about 9 years ago and after the accident, he couldn't drive the car anymore because of his condition. So we asked if we can buy it and for how much. He said $1000. We said $900. He said OK. We took it home and looked it over. The rust was pretty bad from it just sitting there for 9 years. We worked on the motor for a couple days, changing the fluids and whatever else can be changed, and started it up. This thing ran like a clock. Now we had two spare cars and three motors. With the rust being so bad, we decided to part the car out (we also parted the '75 out). So now I have a bunch of parts sitting in my garage. Alot of these parts were sold on ebay, but I still have boxes on boxes of parts that I need to get rid of. Anyways, so as I was driving my 914 around, it all of a sudden just lost power on me. It was carburated by a 34mm solex single carb at the time. I took it to two mechanics and they told me it my compression. I thought about it and since I took the motor out once before, I'll just take it out and rebuild the motor. As I was rebuilding the motor (a 2.0), I realized that I have the other fuel injected 2.0 sitting here. So I took it, cleaned it up, repainted it nicely and lifted it up in my car. Now I have a 84k motor and transmission in my 914. After I changed the computer just the other day, it passed DEQ and runs like a beauty and it's not a smoker. Anyways, sorry if I put any of you to sleep. I just though you guys might have wondered how I got all these parts. And by the way, I made some pretty good money parting out those two cars. I didn't even sell any of the motors and made around $3000 profit plus I still have a bunch of parts left. If you guys need anything, ask.

Danee
Old 12-09-2002, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hey Danee, sure glad you're in my area! I may be calling you for extra parts!...... soon (and thanks for the quote)
You sure were lucky with those finds. I saw a yellow 914 sitting on jack stands a few weeks ago while going to Discount import auto parts. I went a way I usually don't go. When I left the store and tried to back track so I could stop by & look at it I couldn't find it I'm going again today for points & cond. so maybe I'll get lucky too!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-09-2002, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Was that Daves problem all along??
The primary problem has been a lack of motivation on my own part.

The car, on the other hand, has had a number of problems. One was that a "presumed-good" ECU that I swapped in to check my primary ECU turned out to be bad in several ways. Found that one out by using Pelican's D-jet tester. The car actually started after I swapped in another "presumed-good" ECU. I sent that one to Brad A so he could take a look at it....

Brad also told me that one of my "new-ish" MPSes was bad; ruptured diaphragm. It was less than two years old. I can't tell if it's the one I bought locally or the one I bought about a year before that from Pelican. I do know that both of those were fine when I bought them, though! I checked them myself.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-09-2002, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I know that motivation thing quite well too. After taking the dizzzy out yeaterday, cleaning/lubing and re-installing the car wouldn't start. It'd sputter a couple times but just would take hold. Motivation went out the door as more cold wind came in. While telling my woes to my working partner it flashed in my mind that I left off the little "C" clip that holds the vacuum advance arm to the plate inside the dizzy. I now have a returned motivation to put that on and see if that will allow the car to start. If that arm poped off while trying to start then that could be the whole problem.... maybe
Dave, is yours running now?
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-09-2002, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Heh... You haven't been paying attention to some of the posts around here if you can still ask that question.

(No, it isn't.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-09-2002, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Hey Danee, sure glad you're in my area! I may be calling you for extra parts!...... soon (and thanks for the quote)
You sure were lucky with those finds. I saw a yellow 914 sitting on jack stands a few weeks ago while going to Discount import auto parts. I went a way I usually don't go. When I left the store and tried to back track so I could stop by & look at it I couldn't find it I'm going again today for points & cond. so maybe I'll get lucky too!
bruce
Bruce, LOL!!! That's my 914 that was up on the jack stands. LOL That's probably when I was getting ready to put my FI 2.0 in. I live like a minute away from DIP. So now you know where I live. Dont try anything funny!!! This time when you roll by, my baby wont be over the opperating table. It might not even be home (depends if I'm gone). But you're more then free to stop by and check it out. And whatever parts you need, let me know and I'll tell you if I have them.

See ya around Bruce

Danee
Old 12-09-2002, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by pbanders
Like Jeff says, injectors are fired in groups of 2 on 4-cyl implementations of D-Jetronic. If you aren't getting injection pulses from ONE injector, then you should check the other injector in the group (1 & 3, and 2 & 4 are the groups). It is extremely likely that if only one injector in the group isn't working, that it's a wiring problem in the harness or the injector is faulty. If both injectors aren't working, it's extremely likely that it's the trigger contact points, very likely that one of the two points are always open.
Brad, I want to suggest a correction here. According the factory manuals, the injector groups are 1/4 and 2/3, not the pairing that you mentioned above. This thread threw me off for a few minutes while I was checking my injector grouping!
Old 03-09-2003, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: