Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
welding cracks...

Well, after almost three week in transit my heads made it from the east coast to the west...RIMCO has them now for valve seat replacement. They informed me that three of the four spark plug holes have small cracks showing in the combustion chamber. ( I could see only confirm one before they left) They appear not to go into the thread boss. My question to the board is since this is a very common occurance and will most likly reappear after the repair, would you have them weld up the entire plug boss, drill and tap for the repair...this will add about another 150 to 200 bucks to the job...

Thoughts comments...thanks Scott

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 12-05-2002, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cracks of any size are bad and can propagate to a valve seat area and cause lots of damage. What did they say about them although I imagine since they told you they were there, RIMCO believes they should be fixed? If the heads are going to see hard use, i.e. higher compresson, bigger valves, etc then I'd recommend getting any and all cracks repaired. Sure glad I live in the San Diego are as it only takes a day to get heads to LA! Good luck.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had my plug holes filled and retapped to 12mm. This is said to strengthen them quite a bit.

HeadFlow Masters did the work.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The heads are stock 2.0l. they will get used but not any track time...spirited yes...ragged edge of performance no.

Rimco indicated that they are not serious. " Should" not have an affect on the seats. They indicated that it is very common.

I like the idea of going to 12mm. does this limit the spark plug options?

Still. I will have about 600 buck in these heads after this go around.
New guides, exhaust valves, valve job new seats...

The plug boss fix will add another 200...I should probably go ahead with the effort.

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 12-05-2002, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you intend to redo the motor right, by the the time you are done, the extera $200 for welding the cracks will appear as an insignificant item on you list of expenditure. The heads are one of the weaker links in a T-IV engine, so don't take any shortcuts there. Have the cracks welded.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have learned the hard way on shortcuts. Think of it this way.

A couple of months down the road, when your motor is all buttoned up and running beautifully, then all of a sudden you drop a valve seat b/c one of the cracks grew. Would you then pay $200 to not have to tow the car, pull the motor, yank the head and then pay another $200+ to fix the crack and rebuild the head?

I don't know if that made much sense but I think you get the drift.

Horrible, horrible things can happen when something lets go inside a cylinder. $200 is a cheap insurance policy.

2cent
Old 12-05-2002, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rimco has an excellent reputation, if they recommend something, it's probably far a good reason. The first head I took there was in 1976. Can you imagine how many heads they've seen?
Old 12-05-2002, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: