Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Tools

Hi, I'm just starting to work on my 914 due to my recient crash and I've found out that I have crap for tools. What should I get? Metric? Are there any special tools that I should have for the 914? Is there a particular brand I should get? In general what should I get?
Thanks,
Eric taylor
Old 12-07-2002, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Yes, metric.

There are lots of good brands out there. I have a mix of mostly Craftsman plus misc others. If you are not a pro mechanic using them day in day out then IMHO for most items you don't need to spend a ton of cash on Snap-On, MAC etc. BUT, it is worth getting a good quality torque wrench and ratchets.

You can do a ton of stuff on these cars with just a set of sockets, ratchets and extensions, open ended wrenches, hex/allen bits, and screwdrivers. Start with the basics.

There are a few "odd" tools you will need eventually such as the 12pt (star) bit, 27 and 30mm sockets, big trans plug thingie, etc but you can pick those up as needed.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 12-07-2002, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You will also need a toolbox to put all those tools in.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-006s.jpg (26.3 KB, 402 views)
Old 12-07-2002, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice, Craig!! I figured you to "only have the best". I also like the shop floor, more than the box. Looks like "Hot-Rod TV"

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-07-2002, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Craig, nice tool chest. I have a Craftsman thing that is essentially the same, but consists of two units stacked on top of eachother. Works great, but I have a tendency to work disorganized, so stuff ends up all over the place. I would also recommend getting a 2 or 3 ton floor jack, and a set of jack stands. I got mine in a kit for about $70. Not an absolute must have right away, but if you plan on doing any work under the car, these are essential.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RD Evans
Thumbs up Check out KD Tools

K-D Tools get great reviews from everyone who uses them. I'm planning on building a new set of hand tools with them. Check out the "Gear" wrenches they offer. Also, you can purchase from Pelican Parts! Here is their website, http://www.kd-tools.com .
Old 12-07-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

oh yeah!

A man and his garage...Its a beautiful thing.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Harbor Freight has a lot of items that are useful, but the quality is somewhat marginal. If it doesn't matter much to you, their prices are very agreeable. I have many high quality tools such as Milwaulke power tools. Just for fun I bought a Harbor Freight 4" angle grinder on sale for less than $20 out the door w/ tax. It's a little noisey inside like the beraings are worn, but I can't kill it. Their impact sockets are plenty good regardless of price. When it comes to wrenches and 3/8 drive sockets, I like nice tools. Minimum is the stuff they sell at Lowe's and the Home Debit. Sears has the huge selection you sometimes need for the more unusual stuff. And, of course, Snap-On is the last word in tools and they have everything under the sun.

My bottom line advice is to buy medium to high quality with exceptions as noted. For tools that will take huge amounts of stress, like the 12 pt. tool for the CV joints, buy the best you can find. You won't be sorry.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Home Depot!
You can get a Huskey tool set and they are life time warranty. If you break it, just bring it back and get a new one, just like Craftsmans warranty without the price. I used to have a set at my work that I had no trouble with. I used to work for Home Depot, and when I did I only saw one tool come back. It was definetly used in something odd, and extreme.
Just my .02
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 12-07-2002, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I am not a real tool nut, and when I got my 914 I went down to the Home Depot and bought a set of Husky wrenches (open and box combo, 10 to 19mm?)

My friend who has owned and worked on his own Beetle since he bought it in '79 (Type IV powered at the moment) went on and on about how nice those wrenches were.

The Husky screwdriver I bought, which was a long handled, fine tipped straight drive, broke at the end first time I tried to use it. So I'll stick with the Craftsmans on those...
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 12-08-2002, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I bought lost of craftsman and mastercraft tool. I have returned more than a few broken tools and they replace them without question. These tools are not the best you can buy, but they are good quality and the lifetime warranty takes care of the rest. The couple of things I spent alot of money on is a GOOD torque wrench, micrometers, calipers and dial guage. Good luck! Dave
Old 12-08-2002, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LateApex
Craig, your tool chest looks like it costs more than my 914.... err, and my CRX combined!

I have a decent sized tool chest that i store all my tools in. About 8 drawers. I have a mix and match of tools though. I totally recommend getting a "metric" set from Craftsman. I believe they do sell those. Also some nice screw drivers and of course, my favorite, VICE GRIPS!

73 2.0L Project 914-6 PCA club racer
95 993C2 Grand Prix White
Old 12-08-2002, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Actually I purchased it at Costco, Handmade, called Hammehead made here in Portland Oregon of 100% Stainless Steel. It's cost was half of what a Snap -On box would cost, I almost bought one when I used to be a line mechanic. Only three have been made as to date and all three sold in two days. Owner was at the store when I was there buying and asked me alot of questions and offered me his card and said to call anytime.
I had a choice two Konings seats or this toolbox. My tools deserve a nice place to rest there butts also.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Harbor Freight is best for the little stuff and where quality doesn't matter. Like a 4 pc prybar set for $6. or dental picks, inspection mirrors, oil filter wrench, wire brushes, chisles and punches, ect. You can build a list of dozzens of items and the bill is less than $100. All these little items make the difference between a hard job and a fun job.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Porsche Crest

Any of the main lines will do well, Facom, Kobalt, SK, Husky, Snap-On, Mac, Craftsman. Kobalt and Husky are actually made by Snap-On and SK or MAC ((I don't remember which) MAC is owned by Stanley as well).

I would suggest that you look for smooth finish (some craftsman have the textured finish and are very hard to clean,)

Also rounded edges are nice on the wrench shafts (this is the only thing I dislike about MAC) if the wrench has squared edges it can make it painful when you are in a tight spot and have to exert a good deal of effort through 1or2 fingers.

Spend your money on the tools and not the box to start with at least. We used to say "The box doesn't make you any money" and while you do need a clean secure place to store your tools, things like roller bearing drawers and similar things are poor return on investment particularly in a home workshop environment..

There is nothing quite like having the right tool for the job.

Also, cheap tools can make the job harder since they may not fit properly, or may flex and round off bolts. (combination wrenches are particularly bad.)

HTH
Duck
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-09-2002, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
By the way craig,

Nice E-30 325iC
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-09-2002, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks, the wifes daily driver.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Lots of great advice on the hand tools, but I might also suggest spending a couple extra bucks and buy a 3 1/2 ton floor jack and a set (4) 6 ton jack stands. Don't waste your money on the little three ton stands. (I only use mine on my lawn tractor.) Look for a jack that can lift the car at least 21 inches off the floor. You'll really appreciate the extra room under the car and the extra solid feel the heavier jack stands give you.
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 12-09-2002, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Hey Craig,

Quote:
Actually I purchased it at Costco, Handmade, called Hammehead made here in Portland Oregon of 100% Stainless Steel. It's cost was half of what a Snap -On box would cost, I almost bought one when I used to be a line mechanic. Only three have been made as to date and all three sold in two days. Owner was at the store when I was there buying and asked me alot of questions and offered me his card and said to call anytime.
Does this guy have an email address or website?

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-10-2002, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Mike the owners name is Greg Bell ph# is 503-203-1400 or email is gbellreps@aol.com. Name on the box should read Hammerhead.
Tell him I told you to contact him.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2002, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: