Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Distributor ball bearing appeared outta nowhere!

Ya... I took it apart! Quite simple BUT this ball bearing that I've been reading about appeared and I didn't see from whence it cometh. Tried to find pictures here and else where. Been reading alot about it but can't get my pea brain to realize where it goes. Goin out to try to find its space whilst awaiting answers.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-08-2002, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I will try to explain where it goes. Inside the dizzy there are two plates, one on top of the other connected by a small ground strap. The top plate is the contact breaker plate and is moved by the vacume advance unit to advance and retard timing. The ball bearing goes on top of the top plate about 1/4" behind where the vacume advance arm is connected. It is held in place by a small black bracket shaped like a sideways U. The bottom side of this bracket clips on to the underside of the bottom plate and the top has a cup that the top of the ball rests in. So basicaly the bottom plate, top plate and ball are sandwiched together by the U bracket. This ball and bracket are used to give some resistance between the two plates. Sorry, kinda hard to explain in writing. Haynes manual on pages 66 shows the Dizzy parts. Page 63 shows the U bracket in position in a pic of the dizzy. Located at the very top in the middle of the pic. Hope this helps, Dave
Old 12-08-2002, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dave, I went out & looked at it with your discription in mind and it clicked. Got it back together! .... now, it won't start! Everything is connected, points set. It tries to start every once in awhile but never catches. I'll see if I still have spark. Points, cond., rotor, cap & plugs are a month old but I could've burnt the cond. I'll try...... another day........
At least I found out how the dizzy comes apart!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-08-2002, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: