Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Turn Signal Relay Quesiton

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,681
Region Association: Southwest Region

For some reason, the left blinkers no longer come on. I have check the bulbs and they are good. I replaced the fuses the other day and cleaned all the fuse holder contacts.

The right blinkers do come like normal. When I turn on the right blinkers, the relay works like it should. I removed the black relay cap and can see it operating properly. When I turn on the left blinkers, the relay does not work/move. The light filament in the bulbs are not on either.

Is it possible for the relay to only work for one side of the car? I figured the relay either worked or didn't work. Attached are two photos of the relay internals. The one post with a "C" designation appears to have gotten hot at some point and wonder if may be the issue.

Anyone know what the connectors are on the relay?
C =
49 =
49a =
31 =

Old 05-19-2016, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
With the "C" it sounds like you have a 74+ car.

The "C" ("K" on earlier cars) feeds the indicator in the tach. 49 is power in, and 49a is power out to the turn signal switch.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks - yes I have a '74 model
Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I would replace that relay. You can probably use one from a VW

Mark Twain
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, from what I have gathered from others is that the relay either works or doesn't.

Power comes in to the relay via pin 49, and exits via pin 49a. The C pin is to the dash indicator and the 31 pin the ground. The turn signal lever controls which side the power goes to (right or left blinkers). Thus it appears I have an issue at the signal lever or at a turn signal.

The identification above is what is at each pin on the relay.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
It looks pretty weathered. The headlight relay in my car worked sporadically, sometimes I could get high beams, sometimes not. New relay fixed it. Got the relay and a new gas cap at the local VW shop.

Mark Twain
Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good idea on going to the VW shop for a good new one. Have some tests to do when I get home. Thinking my signal switch may be the culprit.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Love sites,do your best.

Wow,so amazing tool,Maybe the best one left blinkers is that.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: