Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
10 yrs already??

back window

how do i get my back window out? (i prefer not to use the rock or hammer theory, i'd like to use it again)
it seems to have come loose, and there is that trim in the way. how do i get the trim out of the way?

-jim-
Old 08-18-1999, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Remove all the trim. The backpad has four screws near the bottom--remove those and the knob and guide for the engine lid pull, then slide the bottom of the pad forward and the top of it down. Then it should come out. Oh, disconnect the battery and unplug the interior light first!

The side pieces are held on by the upper seat belt anchors and the "coat hook" screws.

The top piece is held on by a bunch of Phillips head screws. They're a pain to get at, since they are buried in the pad. A couple of them point forward, a bunch point downward. Try not to mung up the screw-heads too badly (but you probably will...).

Cut the black goop that holds the window in with a utility knife. Catch the window before it falls inside the car and breaks!!

Remove all the old goop from the window and channel on the body. Clean REALLY well!!! Use new black goop (windshield adhesive), heat it up some with the sun or a hairdryer, press it in. Clamp it there overnight. I used the seat headrests and some towels, plus a bar clamp and wood blocks.

Re-install all the trim and such.

Done. No more rattles!!

--DD
Old 08-18-1999, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

thank you much for your help! I have access to a dealerships shop that i can leave my car in overnight. (my dad works there) the most pertinent information was the removal of the black squishy obstacles refered to as interior trim. I appreciate your help, and thank you for telling me how that back pad is held into place.
-jim-
Old 08-18-1999, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Speaking of increasing the "quiet" factor---I read in the British Porsche magazine, I think it's called simply "911", about a Brit with a 914 who had put a double rear window in his car. He said it really made a difference in noise transmission.

Since then, I've thought (another "project") about taking two windows to one of these companies that make "thermopane" windows and have an assembly made with argon gas hermetically sealed in. This could conceivably help toward keeping the car cooler/warmer, as seasonally appropriate, in addition to reducing noise.
Old 08-18-1999, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: