Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stiff accelarator pedal ...

Hi friends

I think I have a problem on my accelarator cable ... the pedal is hard to move.

I checked pedal mecanism, removing the cable attachment, it is not that.

I checked the cable where it comes out of the body before it rows up to the engine place, between fan and firewall (I hope it is clear for you...)

So I think that my problem is that the angle at this place is really short.

If I remove the cable from the engine place and put it under the car (horizontal, with no angle) the pedal moves perfectly...

So, I would be interested in any experience about this angle problem, how can I extend it...

May be a picture of yours ...

Thanks in advance for your answer
Philippe

Last edited by Flat4ever; 12-20-2002 at 01:32 PM..
Old 12-20-2002, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

sometimes the cable can get wrapped around the clutch cable....
Has the cable been changed recently..... have you had the car for a while. Any additional history you could provide would be helpful... Carbs or Fuel Injected ??
Old 12-20-2002, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Are you sure there are no breaks in the sheathing? That was the diagnosis for mine a little while ago.

accelerator pedal pressure

Mine works fine when it's not connected at the throttle body. A little tension on it, though, and I've two throttle postions: closed and wide open.

--Case...
Old 12-20-2002, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jabb
sometimes the cable can get wrapped around the clutch cable....
Has the cable been changed recently..... have you had the car for a while. Any additional history you could provide would be helpful... Carbs or Fuel Injected ??
Joe,

the fact is I bought the car two months ago. It was stored for two years. It is carb powered (2 x 44 IDF).

It is not a problem of wrapping around the clutch cable:
If I disconnect the cable and remove it from the engine compartiment and let it stay horizontally under the car the pedal is smooth and really easy to move.

I think that the way of the cable to reach engine place is not the good one, making a too short angle at the firewall outpout. My cable goes to engine not trough a metal sheet hole but between firewall and seal ...

Thanks for your interest

Last edited by Flat4ever; 12-21-2002 at 05:11 AM..
Old 12-20-2002, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

well, if it works when it lays flat, but doesnt work when it is at a funny angle, my guess is that the angle has everything to do with it. maybe post a pic of it attached. Is it a new or old cable?
Old 12-20-2002, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sure that pics are better than my poor english...

First, you can see the accelerator cable that comes in the engine. I do not think it is the right place...

And below, you can see

A - the accelerator cable

B - the very short angle at the firewall exit.

My Idea: I am going tu buy an aluminium tube (10 mm diameter) and I will form it to make the larger angle I can. And I introduce the cable in the curved tube ...

Or better solution if you have, of course !
Old 12-21-2002, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There was a recent thread about carb installs follow the link to some pictures maybe this will help you see some other installs...
your cable location looks wrong

need your pics of dual carb conv
Old 12-21-2002, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

you have the throttle cable making 2 90 deg bends in a relatively short "run". the bend at the fire wall point is rather ugly. when the sun comes up i'll take a pic of my routing and post it. if the angle of the threaded rods where they connect to the carbs is too steep that can cause a bind also.

kevin
Old 12-21-2002, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Personally I think you need a new cable. It'll do wonders over the old one. The sheathing on the inside of the cable housing wears where the bends are. Cables are cheap enough.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-21-2002, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You are absolutely right.

The sheath is really in poor condition at the place where it comes out from the firewall and I have to order a new cable ...

However, I am interested to know the exact place where the cable comes in the engine compartiment.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

On our stock 1974 2l car the cable exits the firewall and goes to the right some and up through the sheet metal through a hole with a rubber grommet and then loops over the rightside intake runner to the throttle body. On the race car it exits and goes right and up and then makes a looping curve over the right side of the engine. When you get the new cable, before you install it, get a piece of wire such as the plastic coated stuff Home Depot sells and play with different routes from the firewall exit up to the top. Make sure there are no sharp bends like there is now and if you need to drill a hole in the sheetmetal then by all means do that so you get a smooth route. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Peter_Hinkle
Even though you feel that the two 90 degree bends are causing the problem, I wanted to mention that when you lay the cable out flat under the car, it COULD appear that the problem was solved even if it wasn't. I have seen this more than once. I you change the angularity of the cable in the engine compartment and that does not solve the problem, then I would remove the cable from the pedal, pull it from the back towards the back about three feet and then refeed it to the pedal assembly. It is possible that even though all appears fine from what you can see through the tunnel view hole that the cable is wrapped, twisted or caught on something way up near the tube. There is no way to see this without cutting open the tunnel and it produces EXACTLY the symptoms you describe. That, along with the fact that in my ten years of working on these cars, I have seen accel. cables routed ten times worse than yours that worked totally fine. HTH and good luck my man....peter

1974 Saturn Yellow 914/4 1.8/w BigBore/Webers/MSD
1988 944 Black on Black w/phone dials
Old 12-21-2002, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hi all,

I solved the problem . It was the too short two angles at the exit of the chassis and near the fan (see previous pictures).

I changed my old cable with a longer one and I used the NORMAL PASSAGE in the metal sheet on the right side of the engine. The new cable make a larger angle in the engine compartiment and now the pedal is perfect and smooth.

Notice: This is not the definitive solution. I am waiting for a cross hex linkage from CB Performance with high air filters. Accelerator cable will be optimised at this time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable_acc2.jpg (56.4 KB, 510 views)

Last edited by Flat4ever; 12-28-2002 at 10:45 AM..
Old 12-28-2002, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I have to second the want for a CB linkage. I played and fussed with the exact linkage you now have. Now I just pulled out the teflon liner of the cable housing and routed it similair to yours all is better. Question how stiff is your bracket mounted to the fans housing. I think even my size 8 foot would bend that thus causing your throttle adjustment to go out.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I just saw in person a linkage made by dave Ellison at Triad West Performance. It looked great. High quality with ball bearing ends so there is smooth throttle response. He is also making a throttle cable "holder" (not sure what to call it) that bolts onto the case or tin. In Flat4ever's last pic,. look for the blue thing where the cable is held. It would replace this with a sturdy piece of steel. Or e-mail him and have him explain it. I suck at explanations
Old 12-29-2002, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

the blue thing is rubber tape, to make the cable harder at this place.

So, It is not definitive, it is only to have fun in driving the 2.0 waiting the new CB Linkage and filters.

So the ball bearings option is also very interesting. Do you have any drawing or pic of this improved linkage ?
Old 12-29-2002, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

No no pic, but I will talk with Dave soon, and maybe he can take a pic of it. The exhaust is something else. it was THICK sounding
Old 12-29-2002, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: