Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Porsche Crest Filling the old AC Condensor Hole.

I'm thinking of using a large oil cooler something like this:

With some aluminum fabrication to fill the remainder of the hole and a small scoop fabricated on the bottom.

anyone done something similar? Thoughts?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-22-2002, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

having a scoop would push the air back against the flow of air from the fan. a "lip" on the front of the bottom might be more effective in creating a low pressure area. if you still have the cover for the conden use that to seal the hole.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Robert,

This should work quite well in that position for oil cooling. The condensors actually require more air flow to accomplish the required temp change than what is needed for oil. I have the AC condensor (in one of my 914's) with a fabricated scoop to catch air (about 2 1/2in tall), then another pointing backwards to vent air.

You might want to fabricate a shroud to vent the heated air out the back of the cutout - giving the fan someplace to move the air to.

Regards,
Old 12-22-2002, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The original 914 fan/condenser unit was in a box/shroud that allowed air to enter a slot on the front side, then move up into the fan section where it was blown donward through the condenser coil and be forced out through the rear slot. A forward facing sheet metal scoop was provided to help scoop air in and a rearward facing scoop was provided to help extract air. Two slots were cut in the floor for air inlet and outlet. To get your oil cooler/fan to work you need to provide an inlet and outlet air path. And you will need a shroud or ducting to enclose everything if you want to use the trunk for traditional purposes!

Mike
Old 12-23-2002, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry to borrow this thread..

Mike, do the the both types of dealer installed systems work the same? I have the DPD condenser and it seems to be a "Blow down through" configuration. Air enters from the rear scoop (fabricated as part of the condenser housing) to the fan inlet (The top of the condenser) then blows down through the coil.

I'll take some photo's of the condensing coil housing tonight. The rear scoop is fabricated as part of the housing. I don't seem to have the front scoop.

Cheers

914-6 in the Werks
Old 12-23-2002, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the cover on my conden looks like this. the spare fits perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-001s.jpg (39.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 12-24-2002, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Va914, I also have a DPD condenser, as shown in Kevin's picture, which is not in the car. I'll check it again to make sure my explanation is correct. I may have got my explanation reversed. Instead of blow-through as I described, it could be a draw-through fan arrangement which is generally considered to be more efficient. I'll check again.

Mike
Old 12-24-2002, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: