Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Main Bearing ID

I tore my 2056 down for rebuild last Friday, can anyone tell me if these main bearings are original standard/standard, here is the number on one of them: 021-105-531-E They have the original VW stamp on them. I just want to make sure that order the correct new ones. I know type I bearing nomenclature, but I don't know Type IV.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 12-22-2002, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Randy, if you are rebuilding your engine, you should invest in a set of calipers. .010 is the first step in grinding a crank and even a cheapo set will get you in the ball park to know whether you're stock or not. Also, get some plasti-gage to see what your clearances are on pre-assembly.

Last edited by Zeke; 12-22-2002 at 07:04 AM..
Old 12-22-2002, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a full set of calipers and plasti-gages. I was just looking for an easy way to identify the bearing size based on part number. If no one knows this then I'll measure. Since it is 22 degrees outside and I have to warm my shop up, I just thought it would be easier to do it this way. In the Type I world, where I have built multiple motors, stock and hi-po, the bearings use a number scheme that makes it easy to decern what cut if any the bearings are. I was just looking for the same scheme for the type IV.

Randy
Old 12-22-2002, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
you should be able to tell all about your bearings by the part number, which you have. 021- is type IV. the last 3 numbers, -531E, should allow you to x-reference and tell if they are standard, 1st under, 2nd under...... check PP parts catalog
Old 12-22-2002, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i put in 021 105 531 in bus depot parts search and came up with nothing..... their bearings for type IV were different numbers
Old 12-22-2002, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: