Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I'm Torqued About the Torque

What does Porsche say is the proper torque for the bolts that hold the seat bracket to the floorboards? Also, originally were these little bolts allen heads or just normal bolt heads?

What is the proper torque for the bolts that hold the seat rails to the seats?

Thank-you to those of you fortunate enough to have a 914 shop manual. Haynes is for underware and not much else.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If my memory is working, the seats are attached via 4 10mm bolts about 10-15mm long. A special star lock washer was also used.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Douglas, believe it or not the Haynes has almost all of the torque specs you'll find in the 914 factory manuals and little spec book. The 914 manual does not have an overabundance of information...

As for the torque specs, just use "typical" values of the fastener size and material. 12 lb-ft "sounds about right" for M6 fasteners into steel.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-22-2002, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I believe Jim is correct. And Porsche doesn't seem to care what you torque those seat bracket bolts too. 10-15 sounds about right to me.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-22-2002, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ginter,

Interesting. Even my little Honda Civic tells me to torque three of the four seat bolts at 17 lb-ft and the fourth one goes to 24 lb-ft with red locktite. That seat is not going anywhere.

Meanwhile Porsche gives me these little 10mm bolts (you got it right Jim) torqued to whatever you feel like. You would imagine that the seat is an important part of the car considering that it protects the driver and would call for more robust (and more precise) hardware. Now I understand how the Germans lost the war: imprecise torquing. But that doesn't explain the Japanese.

Thanks Dave: about 12 lb-ft it is.

Douglas
Old 12-23-2002, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If you Honda is like my newer VW, some of the seat belt system is part of the seat frame (is the higher torque bolt in the inner rear corner?). On the 914 the seatbelts are completely seperate from the seat. The only way the seat will sustain g-force is if you are hit from the rear, and even then the firewall is inches away.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Don't shoot the messenger. I spent ten minutes looking through the manual for a torque spec for you.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 12-23-2002, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sorry Ginter. Didn't mean to sound pissed at you. That's the problem with internet forums, no visual cues. Was just trying to get some controversey started. No one took the bait. I'll have to try again later.

By the way, I do appreciate knowing that the manual provides no specific torque numbers. It does put my mind at rest.

Douglas
Old 12-23-2002, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: