Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
What can you you tell me about T-stats?

Ok, I'm gathering parts for my project. I need to buy an inline T-Stat for the oil cooler. Is there any thing I need to know about purchasing, and installing one?

Is there different size bores, as is oil passage size?

Is there different temp ranges?

How far away from the motor do you install it?

Any tricks?
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.

Last edited by rich; 12-23-2002 at 09:31 PM..
Old 12-23-2002, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Slow board for the Holidays so I'm bumpin this up!
You girly mon!
WCC 04 done by the kids
Old 12-24-2002, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ayup, slow night. The evening get together is over.

I know of 3 Thermostats.

Porsche (Behr ? sp)
Troutman
Mocal

The first two are hard to go wrong with. Internal passageways are not the restrictions, rather it's line size (fittings, actually)
Bigger is better....12AN minimum, I'm told. That's what I used.

I think they all open at approx 175-180 deg....I tested a Troutman and it was fully open at 212.

Mount as close to the motor as practical.

Tricks?....Buy a good one, use good stuff on the lines, fittings & cooler. Pressure test the lines before install. I used 120lbs of air
& sprayed with soap & water.

yo, ho, ho and an effin' ho, Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I use a mocal one, it seems to open at 180. It is the sandwich plate adapter kind so you never have cold thick oil in oil lines at any time. It routes cold old straight through the filter as usual, then when the oil gets to 180, it open up and sends oil through the lines. I run straight 50W and early morning starts can produce oil pressures that peg my 150lb gauge. I am happy that my oil lines are not subject to that, even though they are rated at 350psi.

And it was only $99.

BTW, after I installed my cooler, I went from 250+ almost every day during one part of my drive, to I can only get the thing over 210 on the track on a warm day at the end of my run. My motor and my wallet and my wife thank me for that.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

what about a Harley thermostat? You can find them in MC parts catalogs and such. Different brands and styles available. Lockhart make one for about $80 opens between 140-160. Your local Harley shop might have some.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
johnboy914 where did you buy a mocal for $ 99.00?
What is a sandwich style? Do you have a picture you can post?

I don't know what brand is listed in the 914 parts section on this web site but it's about $ 124.00

I would think a Harley t-stat would be small and restrictive.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Old 12-25-2002, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

it is 'sandwiched' in between the oil filter and the oil filter mount, so it becomes your new oil filter mount. I got it from my mechanic.

I will try to post a pic.

The most expensive part of the whole cooler install was the oil lines and fittings. The thermostat/adapter plate was $99, the cooler was $150, and the other $350 was all line and fittings.

But, $600 is a lot cheaper than frying motors every year.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Oh Ya! I know what your referring to. My 928 motor had a factory cooler. the line connections are tapped into the block. The cooler and one line were missing when I picked up the motor at the salvage yard. I guess I to try to find a diagram of the factory cooler setup to be sure I need the t-stat in line.

Thanks
WCC 04 done by the kids
Old 12-25-2002, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder

is a sandwich adapter. Goes on where the oil filter goes, then the filter screws onto it. (this particular one does not have a built in stat, but some do.)
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-25-2002, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yes, that is a much better pic than the dirty one hanging down from my disassembled car.

One thing to remember, you have to use a shorter oil filter. If you try to use the stock one, it will hit the engine mounting bar.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: