Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Angry I'm cursed! Got it out of the shop

O.k so I am cursed with my '73 2.0. I finally went to carbs after figuring out I put to big a cam in when I rebuilt. I got a nice set of weber 44's. Took them to my friend thats a wrench first. My clutch was toast also. So after having it for a month he managed to get to my clutch. He was a little unsure doing the carbs so he suggested taking to someone else. No problem I knew of a good wrench that works on 914's often enough. SO I give him a call & he says bring it over. I do & a week & 1/2 later he calls me with the lowdown. I have a small oil leak on the left side of my engine(not real bad). That is on my rebuilt engine with less than 2000 miles. Oh well also I need to get the right distributor(no vacuum advance). I was actually aware of that but I heard you can plug the vacuum advance into the carbs somewhere. No spot on my carbs for that. Well I thank him & head on my way. It was running pretty good. Alot louder though with my new exhaust on there too. I have a little trouble getting it into gear. Rebuilt tranny too(hum), New sachs clutch (hum). Gets worse quickly & won't go into gear without grinding. So I limp her home turning it off at stop lights. Get home to pull her into the garage. Push the clutch in & hear a pop. Clutch pedal stays on the floor. F*&^*#$%&%^&&$%&%&%. Haven't got to crawl under it yet. Did my cable just snap? What do you all think? Sorry this is so long
Old 12-24-2002, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ouch! Sounds like a snapped clutch cable to me. Also sounds like the tranny might be hosed up too--although I've read that clutch problems can result in problems in the tranny too. Is that the first time you drove with the tranny after the rebuild?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No I've had it for about a year after the rebuild. Haven't got to put much miles on it though. Spent most the time in the garage or in the shop. My last clutch when I pulled it out had tons of life left yet I didn't have any adjustment left. Maybe I got the wrong cable or something. Any suggestions on if Sachs makes a special cable for their clutches?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A broken cable is likely .....and the best thing that coulda gone wrong here. I agree that it may be the problem with your shifting
difficulties. They stretch (all them little wires don't give up at the same time...till right there at the end)before they break causing the clutch to drag....or so I've heard.

Lessee, Christmas eve. Where do I get a clutch cable
on Christmas eve?

I'll bet ole JP has a new OEM cable in his shop.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Cool JP, a regular Santa Claus you are.
Jamie... it's the Dommmiiiinnnooooo effffffectttttttt
Don't give up, I think you've begun standing all the dominos up once again!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-24-2002, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Did you replace the arm bushing and retainer clip? these can be a problem especially if you install a heaver clutch. If it went slowly though it's probally just an linkage adjustment
Old 12-24-2002, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
...time to buy a Honda...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 12-24-2002, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I agree about the broken cable. One thing to check after you have replaced it. Make sure that with the clutch disengaged (pedal to floor) that the TO bearing lever is not in contact with the trans case. If it is you may not be getting full travel. This could cause your gear crunching. A shim under the pivit ball will cure it. (requires trans out)

'76 914-6 2.7 Auto-x Toy
'70 914-6 Orig., in resto
Old 12-24-2002, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Old Jp has a clutch cable in his shop heh! Brand new even. WOnder if he's selling it or laughing at me cause I don't . I'd probably be interested in it JP. Let me know & maybe I'll pick it up at the meet!
Old 12-24-2002, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by JRust
Old Jp has a clutch cable in his shop heh! Brand new even. WOnder if he's selling it or laughing at me cause I don't . I'd probably be interested in it JP. Let me know & maybe I'll pick it up at the meet!
I did get a little chuckle. I had 3 clutch cables (sold one at the last swap meet) and one teener. You have 3 teeners, but only one clutch cable.....it struck me as humorous.

I will give you the new, in the package, from the dealer....yada, yada, cable but....there's always a but, eh.... I need a replacement....JIC mine breaks, ya know...and NOT one of them aftermarket PsOS.....an OEM jobbie just like it....say within a month.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Bruce! Bring a couple of critters (or just a few filberts)! I think Jamie has a "new" home for them...
Old 12-24-2002, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I already passed drivel here.....number 9
Old 12-24-2002, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
O.k an update! I went to pull the pedal cluster outa my 73 parts car along with the clutch cable. I couldn't get the piece o crap out. Dang nut under the brake lever is killing me. May just cut it out tommorow if I don't get a solution soon. Really pissed me off I got to say! Did get the bumpers pulled for Geoff. Also got the FI pulled for someone else on the BBS. Was going great till I got to that Da*# pedal cluster.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
If I remember right, try taking off the rod that goes to the master cylinder to get some room in there. Then the brake petal should move out of the way alittle. Use lots of PB Blaster to beat the rust too on the nut.

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 12-26-2002, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Well I got to admit the lake I was working in didn't help alot. I did take the nuts/bolt outa the master cylinder & got the rod out making the brake lever loose. It is still in the way no matter where it sits. I'm stuck SAwzall is sounding better al the time
Old 12-26-2002, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm, I looked at my parts car and if you push the brake lever towards the front you should have tons of rooms to put a socket on the 13mm nuts for removeal. The other bolts are in the front of the petal cluster and you remove the nuts from the other side of the firewall panel.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 12-26-2002, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know what to tell you geoff. On mine that 13mm nut is right in front of the nut. NO matter where I put the brake lever it is still right there in the way. I tried every angle I could come up with. If the lever could slide a little one way it would be no problem
Old 12-26-2002, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Jamie, here is a pic of the assembly. There should be only the attachments #11 and #14.
Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedal_assy_big.jpg (33.9 KB, 221 views)

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 12-26-2002, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

My pedals

I removed by pedals this weekend, the red circles are where the bolts attach to the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedal_close_up.jpg (33.5 KB, 212 views)
Old 12-26-2002, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Getting back to your original question, a mis-adjusted (too loose) clutch cable will definately cause you to grind gears when shifting. Make sure the 11mm lock nut on the end of the cable isn't worn and isn't "walking" itself loose as you drive. You may need to put a second nut behind it as a jamb nut. It does sound like it snapped on you. When you replace it,(after you get the cluster rebuild done) make sure it's not crossed or tangled with the accel. cable, and check the cable tube for bends or kinks which could have made it hang up.
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: